Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade path from 1.3.8 to 1.3.8a?

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can provide me with guidelines for upgrading from 1.3.8 to 1.3.8a.

Can I simply upload the new version of the code without making any database changes or is there a DB update required? Any guides would be helpful.

Many thanks,

Tas

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade path from 1.3.8 to 1.3.8a?

Quote Originally Posted by tandlit View Post
    Hi there,

I am hoping someone can provide me with guidelines for upgrading from 1.3.8 to 1.3.8a.
    The guidelines are simple. Don't.

You DO need to upgrade, but not to another V1.3.8. You should upgrade to V1.3.9h (minimum) or preferably, V1.5.1.

Can I simply upload the new version of the code without making any database changes or is there a DB update required? Any guides would be helpful.

Many thanks,

Tas
    There are DB upgrades required. No you can't simply upload the new version of the code, regardless of any DB updates.

http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?148

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,

Unfortunately the site's theme is only compatible with 1.3.8. I assume that this means 1.3.8a is also compatible, but that 1.3.9 is not. The reason I want to move to 1.3.8a is to to upgrade the Zen Lightbox plugin which is currently not working on modern browsers due to an error in the mootools javascript file.

With this in mind, how would I move from 1.3.8 to 1.3.8a?

Cheers,
    Tas

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,

Unfortunately the site's theme is only compatible with 1.3.8.
    How so? What part(s) are incompatible?

I assume that this means 1.3.8a is also compatible,
    A reasonable assumption (but not something I'd bet on).
    but that 1.3.9 is not.
    A more reasonable assumption (but still not something I'd bet on).
    The reason I want to move to 1.3.8a is to to upgrade the Zen Lightbox plugin which is currently not working on modern browsers due to an error in the mootools javascript file.

Cheers,
    Tas
    I'm sorry, but the Lightbox plugin is the least of your concerns. There are several known vulnerabilities with Zen V1.3.8(a) that are being actively exploited. It would be criminal for us to help you upgrade to a version with known vulnerabilities when there are later and more secure alternatives available.

We'll probably go out of our way to help you resolve the compatibility issues with your current theme when you update to a secure version.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,

Unfortunately the site's theme is only compatible with 1.3.8. I assume that this means 1.3.8a is also compatible, but that 1.3.9 is not. The reason I want to move to 1.3.8a is to to upgrade the Zen Lightbox plugin which is currently not working on modern browsers due to an error in the mootools javascript file.

Cheers,
    Tas
    I didn't see your post RodG before I posted, but I will leave mine anyway.

If your template is not compatible with zen cart v1.3.9h or zen cart v1.5.1 you need to upgrade to another template.

Using the very old Zen Cart 1.3.8 and 1.3.8a is a high security risk. No one in their right mind should even suggest to you how to upgrade to 1.3.8a.
    As RodG has already told you, You DO need to upgrade, but not to another V1.3.8 you need to upgrade to zen cart 1.3.9h or to the newest version of zen cart.
    Last edited by countrycharm; 15 Dec 2012 at 05:56 AM.
    Is your site Upgraded to the current version 1.5.4 Yet?
    zencart-upgrades-website-installation

Plugin Contributions

Hi guys,

Thank you both for responding. I was not aware of the security risks, thank you for alerting me. The site is using this theme: http://www.templatemonster.com/zenca...tes/15388.html

It specifically says 1.3.8 only. I don't do much work with Zen Cart so I'm not familiar with the potential problems which may occur in the theme if I upgrade to 1.3.9. Any tips on what to look out for would be great.

Thanks again,

Tas

Plugin Contributions

The site is using this theme: http://www.templatemonster.com/zenca...tes/15388.html

It specifically says 1.3.8 only. I don't do much work with Zen Cart so I'm not familiar with the potential problems which may occur in the theme if I upgrade to 1.3.9.
    Yoiks. I've heard nothing but bad things about templatemonster.

Any tips on what to look out for would be great.
    This is both an easy and a hard question to answer. There are way too many things to look out for that it would be futile trying to list them all.
    That said, the only way to know for sure would be to do the upgrade (not on your live site. make a copy first), then solve whatever problems you find as and when you find them... or perhaps use an updated template.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Yoiks. I've heard nothing but bad things about templatemonster.
    Rod, could you recommend an alternative? I think the site is due for a facelift anyhow.

Cheers,
    Tas

Plugin Contributions

you could take a look at Picaflours . com . Anne makes very nice templates, both commercial and free. These all use the Zen Cart structure as supposed.

Plugin Contributions

TM makes some of the prettiest, "s3xiest" templates out there, but they hack core Zen Cart admin functions to get them to look and behave exactly as the designer intends, ignoring users' possible desires to alter the look/function. They also have bloated clumsy coding, though that will not be apparent to the casual user.
    The best part of TM templates is the high-class graphics. Unless you want to use the identical graphics as everyone else who buys the template, you will need to create some of your own, which negates the value of the template. Many other commercial template sellers are just resellers for TM templates.

For a variety of free templates that work properly with the ZC template system and can easily be personalized, look at (sorry, site offline) .
    Templates by picaflor-azul are well-recommended and supported by the maker in the forum; there are a good number of others as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast