Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Using Fantastico but can't find files

I've used Fantastico to set up Zen Cart, and want to change the "Sales message Here" text.
    When using Filezilla to make the changes I can't see the files; includes/langaugse/english/headerphp
    in order to make that changes.
    Filezilla will take me to Fantastic>Zen Cart, but none of the usual files are there.
    Can someone talk me through this, or is it not possible to do this becasue I've used Fantastico?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Using Fantastico/Zen Cart but can't find files

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
    I've used Fantastico to set up Zen Cart, and want to change the "Sales message Here" text.
    When using Filezilla to make the changes I can't see the files; includes/langaugse/english/headerphp
    in order to make that changes.
    Filezilla will take me to Fantastic>Zen Cart, but none of the usual files are there.
    Can someone talk me through this, or is it not possible to do this becasue I've used Fantastico?
    Completely remove the installation - delete all files and the database - and do a proper, manual install. Fantastico is not the way to install this program.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

What files / folders do you have?
    For future ref the best way to install is to do so manually via ftp, that way you start to get an understanding of the structure and the database settings.

Plugin Contributions

out typed ;-)

Plugin Contributions

Hi Thanks.

I've cleared all data.

I'm using filezilla, and have the zen cart template loaded onto my PC.

However I can't open the files either on my PC or in filezilla, to make the changes, for uploading.

I get an error message saying the files can only be open with the same program they were created.

How do I open the files for editing please?
    Last edited by sleepyhead; 31 Dec 2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: speling error

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
    Hi Thanks.

I've cleared all data.

I'm using filezilla, and have the zen cart template loaded onto my PC.

However I can't open the files either on my PC or in filezilla, to make the changes, for uploading.

I get an error message saying the files can only be open with the same program they were created.

How do I open the files for editing please?
    Let's go back to the basics...

You have not loaded a "template"... you have loaded a PLATFORM for eCommerce.

For this PLATFORM to work, you will need a set of FILES and a corresponding MySQL DATABASE.

You have used FILEZILLA to send all the FILES to your server.

Now, you need a DATABASE to be linked to your file system.

In your hosting C-PANEL, you need to CREATE A DATABASE (call it shop).

Then you need to create a DATABASE USER (any name - keep- it simple) MAKE A NOTE OF IT
    ...and give that user a PASSWORD (at least 8 characters). MAKE A NOTE OF IT

Then you need to ASSIGN that user to the database, and give him ALL PRIVILEGES.

(This is all done in your hosting account c-panel. There should be a video tutorial showing you how to create a database and assign a user to it.

------------------------------------------

So... you now have ALL the zencart files on the server, AND you have a database which the platform will use.

Now, proceed with the INSTALLATION by typing into a browser:

http://www.your_website.com/zc_install

Follow on-screen instructions, making sure to put in the correct information about the database,
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I've done all that except when I try to assign the privileges for the database it allows me to make a database but when I go in it says no privileges and I cant find anything on how to change them to full privileges.

I've sent a question to 123reg, but they are on holiday support hours, and I really wanted to get it active asap.

Any thoughts please?

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    Let's go back to the basics...

You have not loaded a "template"... you have loaded a PLATFORM for eCommerce.

For this PLATFORM to work, you will need a set of FILES and a corresponding MySQL DATABASE.

You have used FILEZILLA to send all the FILES to your server.

Now, you need a DATABASE to be linked to your file system.

In your hosting C-PANEL, you need to CREATE A DATABASE (call it shop).

Then you need to create a DATABASE USER (any name - keep- it simple) MAKE A NOTE OF IT
    ...and give that user a PASSWORD (at least 8 characters). MAKE A NOTE OF IT

Then you need to ASSIGN that user to the database, and give him ALL PRIVILEGES.

(This is all done in your hosting account c-panel. There should be a video tutorial showing you how to create a database and assign a user to it.

------------------------------------------

So... you now have ALL the zencart files on the server, AND you have a database which the platform will use.

Now, proceed with the INSTALLATION by typing into a browser:

http://www.your_website.com/zc_install

Follow on-screen instructions, making sure to put in the correct information about the database,

Plugin Contributions

when I try to assign the privileges for the database it allows me to make a database but when I go in it says no privileges
    You also have to create a DB user and assign that user to the database assigning "all" privileges
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Hold your horses ... !

You want to fly your jumbo jet, but you have yet to take your first pilot's lesson.

If you want to manage your website well, and learn as you go, then get your head around the important things first.

If you don't know how to create a database and assign a user to with with all privileges, then LEARN how to do that first.

At this stage, installing and configuring zencart is not something you should be rushing to do... start with the C-Panel and learn the fundamentals of site administration and maintenance.

Now... go back to c-panel (I don't know if 123-reg uses the proprietary c-panel - they are not really good hosts for eCommerce), and work out how to create a database with a user who has all privileges. There is a VIDEO tutorial on cpanel, and in fact THOUSANDS of videos on youtube on how to do this.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hi Thanks,

I have set up the data base, but it has a red cross which says "No privileges", 123reg don't appear to have a tutorial for this stage.

I had been using hostgator in the past and that seems a lot easier to follow than the 123 cpanel.

Would I be right in assuming I won't go further forward until I have all privileges set up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast