Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Shopping cart content

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    You should use a separate template folder for your custom template, even if it starts from the Classic design. Copy all /classic/ folders to /your_template/ folders (whatever name you want to use) and start with new modifications there.

You could then upload new copies of /classic/ folders from a fresh download of Zen Cart, to give you a clean Classic template to use in debugging if necessary.
    I guess you answered my question already. Thanks.
    Using Zen Cart 1.5.1

Plugin Contributions

Okay, good to see you on your way! Be sure to remember, when copying/changing foldernames/whatever method you use, to update the /includes/templates/your_template/template_info.php file with distinct info for your template name, so you can distinguish it in admin > Tools > Template Selection.
    Refer to the tutorials about template creation for more details...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin205 View Post
    Since I have been working on it for a while now, I guess I have to rename "classic" to "My_Custom_Template" and possibly re-install the the "classic" template?

Any suggestion on the best way to accomplish that task?

Thank you.
    Not quite this straight-forward... A major "controller" of how the site interprets what template is being applied is the template_info.php file - AND this integrates with a few things in the database too (such as layout boxes).

SO... here's the procedure...

1. RE-NAME all the current CLASSIC folders to a name of your choice (and I mean ALL the folders - so navigate through ALL LEVELS of languages : modules : templates and wherever you see classic, re-name it. (The languages folder is the one with the most... of course the templates folder will only have ONE instance of classic.

Then, go to includes/templates/YOUR_RENAMED_TEMPLATE/template_info.php (and make the obvious changes).

PHP Code:
    <?php
    /**
     * Template Information File
     * @package templateSystem
     * @copyright Copyright 2003-2005 Zen Cart Development Team
     * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
     * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
     * @version $Id: template_info.php 2306 2005-11-05 21:34:28Z wilt $
     */
    $template_name 'My New Template';
    $template_version 'Version 1.0';
    $template_author 'ME - 2013';
    $template_description 'This is My New Template';
    $template_screenshot '';
    ?>
    BEFORE you do any thing else, you need to PUT BACK the core classic folders and files, so open your unzipped copy of zencart program, and FTP all the classic folders back to their relevant locations.

NOW... when you go to you site, you will see it back to CORE CLASSIC, and it will stay that way until you select your NEW TEMPLATE under the TOOLS >>> TEMPLATES menu option.

After you select your NEW template, you may need to RE_SET the layout boxes. (sideboxes). This is done under layout boxes controller and just scroll to the bottom of that screen and click RESET
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

After you select your NEW template, you may need to RE_SET the layout boxes. (sideboxes). This is done under layout boxes controller and just scroll to the bottom of that screen and click RESET
    Your last advise saved me hours of going through files and code, trying to figure out why my boxes are not showing up. No way I would have remembered to go to the "Layout Boxes Controller" under Admin's Tools, to turn them back on.

Everything went smoothly and looking good. it took about 30 minutes to backup, transfer and regenerate. I can now fall back on the original "classic" files if I have to. Thank you.
    Using Zen Cart 1.5.1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12