Plugin Contributions

Default No Download Format Selected - How Can I ForceThe Buyer To Make A Choice?

I thought we had all the problems licked on downloading books, but a new one cropped up today.

A lady bought two books, both only available in download format--but she didn't specify which format she wanted. The sale went through despite this (first problem that needs to be solved) and the ZenCart automatically assumed that she wanted a paperback and charged her a $5 flat shipping fee (second problem that needs to be solved). Why she waited two weeks to contact us on this baffles me, unless she mistakenly thought that these books (which do not say anywhere that they're available in paperback format) were available in paperback and would be shipped to her.

In addition to these two problems, there doesn't appear to be a way for her to go in now, after the fact, and specify which download format she'd like. So we'll have to manually send them to her...which isn't a big deal, really, except that it's a problem that needs to be fixed, so that it doesn't happen again.

As a side note, it's been suggested to me that we should do away with the registration process. How can I do that, so that the customer doesn't have to register on the site in order to make purchases? Ideally I'd like to set it up so that they still have the option, but don't have to unless they want to.

Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: No Download Format Selected - How Can I ForceThe Buyer To Make A Choice?

To make the user "need to select" an option, simply add a read-only attribute (ie: an option-value of "Please select..." or whatever other wording you wish) and set it to be the default for that option-name.
    Then, when the customer attempts to add-to-cart, the read-only item will be rejected because it's not permitted to add a read-only/display-only item to the cart.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: No Download Format Selected - How Can I ForceThe Buyer To Make A Choice?

That's going to be fun, with more than 200 book definitions to modify.

Any suggestions on the other issues?

Thanks!!

Plugin Contributions

To allow bypassing "registration", you can use COWOA or Fast and Easy Checkout from Plugins, or use Paypal Express which can automatically send customer info back to Zen Cart.

Plugin Contributions

I'm sorry, I don't know what any of those things are. What does COWOA mean? And why, really, does a person have to register their personal information in order to download a book? It's not as though a physical address is needed, and most people don't like to provide that information these days for so many valid reasons.

Plugin Contributions

COWOA = Checkout Without Account.

You can set as little customer information as required to be collected at registration, and COWOA/FEC can dispense with password entry (which is really the only difference between required billing/shipping info and an "account"). If you want to rely on Paypal, you can get by without collecting any customer info directly on the site.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the explanation. Where do I find information on setting the site up that way?

Thanks so much for your help, it's very greatly appreciated!!

Plugin Contributions

Search the forum or ask in relevant threads, or read the mod installation instructions. I haven't used those mods myself.