Plugin Contributions

Default Creating sale combinations, how would you approach this;

I want to be able to create a sale item listing as follows;

The customer can choose any combination of one item from group A at our regular online discount (5%) and one item from group B at 15% discount (and the list of items for each group will be composed of essentially the same products) and then lastly there will be a group C containing a list of items that will be free. All these items have different prices.

There will be a series of radio buttons (or pulldown etc.) for products in group A

A second set of identical buttons or pulldown for group B

A third set if buttons or a pulldown for the freebies.

They must choose only one item from each of the three groups and the idea is they only get the 15% discount and the freebie in this combination deal.

Right now all the items that will be included in this sale are on our site at the regular prices minus a 5% online discount so if I create copies for the purpose of the sale I wouldn't want them to be visible outside of the sale deal. (I suppose I could create a new category for group B and group C and keep those categories turned off but the items in them turned on and link to the individual items somehow but I'm not sure how to work it into one sale deal listing as described above, or perhaps there is a more elegant way of doing it).

At the moment I'm not really sure how to approach this or even if it can be done.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Creating sale combinations, how would you approach this;

Having thought about it a bit more, the question is basically; How can I create a product listing in which the customer can choose one selection each from two lists of items, all with different prices, via a radio button or pulldown and the total price will be the sum of those two selections? If that can be solved then I'm home free :-)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Creating sale combinations, how would you approach this;

OK, I think I figured this out and it seems easy (maybe too easy, 'hope I won't be bitten by something as yet unseen).

I created a new product for the sale and set it to 'priced by attributes' leaving the price box at 0.0. Then in the attributes controller I create two option names, one for group A and one for group B (I tested this using attribute names I already had). Then create the lists of option values mated to each of the two option names. Then insert them into the item listing and set a price for each one.

When I go to the new listing I see two columns of radio buttons and by choosing one selection from each column the total price is the sum of the two selections and this seems to be working fine so far.

If anyone spots a potential snag using this approach let me know. I have default attributes setup so that a selection must be made from both columns before it can be added to the cart and as far as I can tell based on my simple 'proof of concept' test it seems to do what I need :-)