Plugin Contributions

Default Change description in address bar

Can someone please tell me how to fix my address bar from looking like this

http://nisaest2012.com/index.php?mai...products_id=22

to look like this one

http://ladies.preciousbeebee.com/pre...ress-pre-order

I need to have descriptions in the address bar.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Change description in address bar

I need to have descriptions in the address bar.
    Why must you have them that way?
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

There is nothing to "fix"... The URL's are not broken. These are simply dynamic URL's and do not need "fixing".

If someone has told you that you get a SEO benefit from re-written URL's then they are talking nonsense.

In fact the search engines (particularly Google) prefer that you do NOT re-write your dynamic URL's.

There are RISKS associated with URL re-writing, and there is a lot of discussion on this forum (and elsewhere) about URL re-write.

Some people still believe it has a benefit, but it does not.

If you are determined to use a re-write system, then you should consider CEON URI MAPPING. Do not use any of the others... they are very risky.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fairestcape View Post
    There is nothing to "fix"... The URL's are not broken. These are simply dynamic URL's and do not need "fixing".

If someone has told you that you get a SEO benefit from re-written URL's then they are talking nonsense.

In fact the search engines (particularly Google) prefer that you do NOT re-write your dynamic URL's.

There are RISKS associated with URL re-writing, and there is a lot of discussion on this forum (and elsewhere) about URL re-write.

Some people still believe it has a benefit, but it does not.

If you are determined to use a re-write system, then you should consider CEON URI MAPPING. Do not use any of the others... they are very risky.
    I believe you when you say it does not matter, however I created this site for a client and someone they are hiring to do SEO and other marketing has told them that it has to be that way and because other sites using the same template and zen cart has it done they want it done as well.

Thanks for your help

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

You should be giving your client the ADVANTAGES as well as the DISADVANTAGES of using URL RE-write... A professional web builder would do this, not just blindly do what they instructl.

Inform and educate your client, based on sound knowledge and research. Then let them make an informed decision.

As a rule, we ALWAYS strongly advise both new and prospective clients to NOT use URL re-write unless they have very specific plans to render full URL's in their online and / or offline marketing. The search engines use URL's in the BACKGROUND to their outbound links on search results, and if you want to embed the url's into hyperlinks, then the LINK TEXT is what counts... not the shape of the URL to which it points.

The problem you may face is that some plugins do not work well with the re-write systems, and if your client later wishes to add some modifications or custom procedure, the URL re-write can be a big hurdle to overcome. Secondly, once the search engines start to use these re-written URL's in their indexing, it is a MAJOR job to undo this if you later wish to revert to core behaviour. LOTS of redirects needed and you end up forcing the search engines to devote significant time and energy in trying to fathom out just what is pointing to what...

We do not believe that this potential hassle is worth it, and as there is NO BENEFIT to SEO (and your client's SEO person needs to be told this) by rewriting zencart URL's, then there is no business reason for doing so.

However... if your client's site COMPETES with any of ours, then we STRONGLY ADVISE you to add all this junk, because it may cause you some lovely problems - and that means we have one less competitor to worry about!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fairestcape View Post
    You should be giving your client the ADVANTAGES as well as the DISADVANTAGES of using URL RE-write... A professional web builder would do this, not just blindly do what they instructl.

Inform and educate your client, based on sound knowledge and research. Then let them make an informed decision.

As a rule, we ALWAYS strongly advise both new and prospective clients to NOT use URL re-write unless they have very specific plans to render full URL's in their online and / or offline marketing. The search engines use URL's in the BACKGROUND to their outbound links on search results, and if you want to embed the url's into hyperlinks, then the LINK TEXT is what counts... not the shape of the URL to which it points.

The problem you may face is that some plugins do not work well with the re-write systems, and if your client later wishes to add some modifications or custom procedure, the URL re-write can be a big hurdle to overcome. Secondly, once the search engines start to use these re-written URL's in their indexing, it is a MAJOR job to undo this if you later wish to revert to core behaviour. LOTS of redirects needed and you end up forcing the search engines to devote significant time and energy in trying to fathom out just what is pointing to what...

We do not believe that this potential hassle is worth it, and as there is NO BENEFIT to SEO (and your client's SEO person needs to be told this) by rewriting zencart URL's, then there is no business reason for doing so.

However... if your client's site COMPETES with any of ours, then we STRONGLY ADVISE you to add all this junk, because it may cause you some lovely problems - and that means we have one less competitor to worry about!

I understand completely what you are saying... But as you know there are some customers not worth arguing with. they have already brought to my attention that its their right to change what they want to change so let them have what they want. If me doing what they want rite now based off what someone else is telling them causes problems later on for them they will have to just accept that.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks again for your help, for now they have what they want.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by SyberTemplates View Post
    I understand completely what you are saying... But as you know there are some customers not worth arguing with. they have already brought to my attention that its their right to change what they want to change so let them have what they want. If me doing what they want rite now based off what someone else is telling them causes problems later on for them they will have to just accept that.
    It is in your interests to inform them of the risks. You'd be surprised how YOU will be blamed if things go pear-shaped later...

Fairestcape and I insist that clients sign a disclaimer when they demand URL re-writing, so that when and if problems occur later, we can say - "We did tell you this might happen... "
    20 years a Zencart User