Plugin Contributions

Default Any tuts available for creating add-ons?, how to get started guidelines?,

I have created an add-on for ZenCart as per a clients request for a 'Features List'. It be can be described as an additional product description field but gets formatted as an HTML list and given a class of 'features-list'. I'm aware that a similar plug-in may already exist but i am learning how to be a pro php programmer.

The problem is my code kind of a hack-job! (although it does work!) only because i'm sort of mid-level programmer and also still learning my way around ZenCart. i would like too though, learn how to do it right, and even offer as an download.

can someone advise how to get started doing this? Are there tuts or FAQ's on how to create a ZenCart plug-in or add-on?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Any tuts available for creating add-ons?, how to get started guidelines?,

http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...ion-guidelines

If you want advice on improving or streamlining your code, you could post your edits here. If they are reasonably short, just put them in php tags; if not, attach a zip to a post. (It's quicker & easier for us to comment on code directly posted here.)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Any tuts available for creating add-ons?, how to get started guidelines?,

thank you

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tcarden View Post
    i am learning how to be a pro php programmer.
    Me too. Been doing it for decades, and STILL learning something new every day :)

The problem is my code kind of a hack-job! (although it does work!)
    There's and old adage that any code that works is good code.

only because i'm sort of mid-level programmer and also still learning my way around ZenCart. i would like too though, learn how to do it right, and even offer as an download.

can someone advise how to get started doing this? Are there tuts or FAQ's on how to create a ZenCart plug-in or add-on?
    I see that Glenn has already directed you to the plugin-contribution-guidelines, which is good, but that'll only tell you so much.

My advise is to check the code of some of the other modules (especially the smaller, less complex ones, and especially the ones developed by the ZenCart team members). You'll pick up a lot of good techniques and coding practices from them. Don't be afraid to cut/copy/use the code snippets in your own work. It isn't worth trying to re-invent the wheel.

Above all, remember that there no such thing as 'right' code or 'wrong' code. Make liberal use of comments, and aim to produce code that you'll be able to come back to a couple of years down the track and not have to ask yourself "what the heck is this supposed to be doing", or better yet, code that someone else can look at and figure out what it does (or supposed to do) without having to do much head scratching.

Welcome aboard. Oh, and if you do run into specific coding problems there are many very good coders around here that'll go out of their way to help out (which is pretty much what Glenn told you anyway.

Cheers
    Rod

ps. Of all the different carts I've developed for, ZenCart is without a doubt one of the most developer friendly ones I've come across. You've made an *excellent* choice for a platform to develop and learn new skills/techniques with.

pss. Not really important, but which IDE do you use (if any?)
    Last edited by RodG; 10 Jan 2013 at 01:55 PM.