Plugin Contributions

Default How to get the customer country value from checkout_shipping page?

Hi,

I'm looking to update the main_page=checkout_shipping page and display a message prior to the shipping methods list.

My message will be dependent on the value of the country already populated on the checkout page.

Does one know how to get access to the country value? I can't determine from the form submitted on the previous page where it is stored.

Regards.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to get the customer country value from checkout_shipping page?

More than 80 views? No one has an idea?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Not understanding "why" you're asking this particular question.

What's the bigger picture here?

And in what ways does your site differ from original Zen Cart code?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

The end goal is to drive what values I show in the shipping options list.

On the shipping estimator file I was able to get the value of the currently selected country by reading it from the session. The page I modified in this case was: tpl_modules_shipping_estimator.php

$countryid = $_SESSION['cart_country_id'];

I would like to perform the same type of change on the Shipping selection page in the check out process (tpl_checkout_shipping_default.php). I tried to get the cart_country_id from the session and it didn't work. I'm looking if anyone knows where the data is stored or if its under a different attribute in the session.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You still didn't answer my question. But maybe you want it all to be secret. Fine.

I think you're going at it from the wrong angle.

Why aren't you driving what's shown by having each shipping module make the necessary decisions for you? That's how they're designed to work.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

I think I'm not understanding.

First I'm new to zencart so some pieces of it are a mystery to me as to how they work.

Regarding the mod I'm trying to make, I thought I explained it, but let me try again.

In short, I have the USPS shipping mod installed. When a user is from a country other than the US, I want to hide the all shipping options and just display USPS (1 x 2.00lbs) (Priority Mail International). Otherwise, I will display the rest of the shipping methods offered.

On the shipping estimator, I controlled this by looking at the country id ($countryid == 223).

In the tpl_checkout_shipping_default.php file it doesn't seem to be in the same session variable, so I was trying to find it and posed the question.

If there is another way to do this from just a configuration, I am all for that!! :) I don't want to custom code something unless I really have to.

Regards.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kapsolas View Post
    In short, I have the USPS shipping mod installed. When a user is from a country other than the US, I want to hide the all shipping options and just display USPS (1 x 2.00lbs) (Priority Mail International). Otherwise, I will display the rest of the shipping methods offered.
    THAT is the important information you hadn't shared previously.

Why don't you just go into your USPS module settings (Admin->Modules->Shipping->USPS->Edit) and uncheck the boxes of services you don't wish to offer for "international" destinations?

Plugin Contributions

Thanks DrByte! I'll try this and see how it works with my other flow.

We have some rules implemented for which shipping module to make available based on attributes set on the products.
    I'll see if this fits our solution.

Thanks for the tip!