Default Creating a knowledgebase

Hi,

I searched the forum but can't find any addons etc... for adding a functional knowledgebase to a Zen Cart site. I have downloaded the FAQ Manager addon and are going to try and modify it to work as a knowledgebase. There are just 2 things that i am struggling with:

On each product page and each category page, I would like to have a sidebox with links to relevant articles related to that product/category. Now, i could create a new sidebox for each product/category however that will mean creating a lot of sideboxes. I'm not too good with coding, but i'm thinking i just need to create one sidebox and put plenty of if statements in there. For example, if page is Product A show article XYZ...... if page is Product B show article XXY and XXM..... if page is Product C or Category D show article NUJ...... and these statements will have a nice link to click which will go to the relevant page. I just don't know what code i would require for this? I suppose the easiest way would be to have a dropdown in the admin on the product page/ category page where i can choose which articles are related to that product/category, however i'm thinking this would be even harder coding?

My second problem is creating a search engine for the knowledgebase, however i am pretty sure this might be a lot of work. I will probably look at the default Zen search engine and try and modify it, but any pointers would be great.

My site is www.drgreens.co.uk

Any help would be really great.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Creating a knowledgebase

I would create a new database entry for the faqs to "tag" or assign them to a category, then one box with a filter

~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

That is a good idea, that is what i want really but i have no idea how to go about it? I'm thinking if i look at how the manufacturer filter works to display the manufacturer info in a sidebox it would be something like that, only i would want to display more than one article in the sidebox that is related. So on the product page in the Admin, there would be a dropdown where you can select more than one article to link to that product, and the same in the category edit pages?

For the time being, i have created a new sidebox and i am trying to code it so that it displays different links for each category page. I'm not very good at coding though so it is working, however i don't know how to assign more than one link to each category? Heres what i have:

PHP Code:
    <?php
    /**
     * editable sidebox - allows a sidebox editable with the define pages editor to be added to your site
     * @package templateSystem
     * @copyright 2007 Kuroi Web Design
      * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003-2007 Zen Cart Development Team
     * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
     * @version $Id: blank_sidebox.php 2007-08-10 kuroi $
     */
    $content .= '<div id="' str_replace('_''-'$box_id 'Content') . '" class="sideBoxContent">';
    if (
    $_GET['cPath'] == '75') {

$content '<div class="adlink"><a href="http://www.drgreens.co.uk/index.php?main_page=faq_info&fcPath=3&faqs_id=3">Summer Growing</a></div>';
    } elseif (
    $_GET['cPath'] == '30') {

$content '<div class="adlink"><a href="http://www.drgreens.co.uk/index.php?main_page=faq_info&fcPath=4&faqs_id=5">Odour Control</a></div>';
    }  else {

$content file_get_contents($define_sidebox);
    }

// this is where the content that you have via the Admin is pulled in.
    $content .= '</div>';
    ?>

Does anybody know what code i would have to put to display more than one link for each category. Something like:

if ($_GET['cPath'] == '75') {
    $content = '<div class="adlink"><a href="http://www.drgreens.co.uk/index.php?...s_id=3">Summer Growing</a></div>';
    AND
    $content = '<div class="adlink"><a href="http://www.drgreens.co.uk/index.php?...qs_id=5">Odour Control</a></div>';

And also, this code displays it for the category pages, what code would i have to put to get it to also display on all the product pages in that category?

Any help would be appreciated.

My site is back online again now (although still needing work), if somebody could have a look at it and help with the issues i want to resolve that would be much appreciated

If you click on the category, Environment and then Odour control, you will see that the knowledgebase sidebox shows up on the right. As per my question before though, how do i display more that one link in that box for different articles? And how do i get the sidebox and links to show up on each product page in that category?

Thanks in advance

Link to site: www.drgreens.co.uk