Plugin Contributions

Default Product descriptions not showing up in admin after moving from another site

This is a good one. I have spent a fair amount of time reading other threads but nothing that comes close.

I have a site which has allot of products on it and a new site which is I want to some of the products to. I copied the categories and all the products from the older site's database into the newer sites database via "MySQL admin" . The categories and all the product descriptions show up on the website but not on the admin side of the new site. I also can not change any of the descriptions. I'm using Zen Cart 1.3.9h because I want to use the Snap Affiliates program on my site and this older ver. of ZC plays real well with it.

On the older site I have
    Zen Cart 1.3.8a
    Database: MySQL 5.5.29

and on the newer site
    Zen Cart 1.3.9h
    Database: MySQL 5.0.96

Once I upload the pictures they are all fine, and I can direct to the new location on the new site and the file path stays in tact.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are there some tables I need to add from the old site to the new site to fix this, or is the two different versions of the database s the problem? All the tables loaded fine so I'm guessing they were the same.

Thx in advance

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product descriptions not showing up in admin after moving from another site

Quote Originally Posted by willweC View Post
    I copied the categories and all the products from the older site's database into the newer sites database via "MySQL admin" .
    How EXACTLY did you do that? which tables did you copy, how did you do the copy, etc.

It's important to note that one should NOT be blindly copying tables or even individual records between databases without a strong knowledge of what tables are involved in the data you're attempting to copy.
    Further, you're copying between databases of very different versions, which have different table structures and other schema alterations. Copying data as you've done is not recommended without first making sure both sites are at the same version, else you end up with data corruption problems.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product descriptions not showing up in admin after moving from another site

I did a test site and when it looked good on the front-end I assumed............. :-)
    categories.sql
    categories_description.sql
    product_music_extra.sql
    product_type_layout.sql
    product_types.sql
    product_types_to_category.sql
    products.sql
    products_attributes.sql
    products_attributes_download.sql
    products_description.sql
    products_discount_quantity.sql
    products_notifications.sql
    products_options.sql
    products_options_types.sql
    products_options_values.sql
    products_options_values_to_products_options.sql
    products_to_categories.sql

I exported the tables from inside the GUI of the hosting cPanel then imported them to the new site the same way.

I did back up the database before I did it. If I imported it back in, will it change it back like it was? The whole thing?

The main thing I don't want to lose is all the work I did on the Snap Affiliates
    Thx for the help

Plugin Contributions

Could you check the two files, on the server, for:
    /includes/configure.php
    /your_secret_admin/includes/configure.php

and ensure that both are using all of the same URL and database information ...

Next, if you were to export the data from the New site and export the data from the Old site then use something like Beyond Compare from scootersoftware.com (or maybe WinMerge) and look for the differences in the two exports, do you see any patterns to the differences?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thank you guys for the help. I decided to put the ole zc_install file back on the server of the new site, and take it back to were it was. It did work and I was able to save the Snap A work. Then I'm going to bring the old website up the the same version as the new site.
    Thanks again

Plugin Contributions

update on what I found via trial and error. I was able to load all my products, categories, and sales history (via phpAdmin) once I moved to a new hosting company. I was reading here in the forums(UN-related) and saw where DrByth was sharing about 1and1.com and why not to use them. 1and1.com has something set up to support their products that keeps it from writeing back into the product description on the admin side of ZC. For some reason it worked the first time but once I hosed something up and had to reload it, it it never worked again. In short, don't drink and drive and don't Zen on 1and1.com they don't mix!