Plugin Contributions

Default Where is the code for the product listing sort "up" and "down' arrow?

Hi,

I recently converted from 1.3.9h to 1.5.1, and just noticed that my product listing sort "up" and "down" arrows are showing as special characters, NOT as arrows...

Like this: "Item Name â–¼" (Should be something like: Item Name ^ or Item Name v (but nicer)...

They used to be a nice UP triangle/arrow and DOWN triangle/arrow.

I have searched all over the place, in my code, templates, etc, but cannot find where these are defined, so that I can change them... I know I've done it before, but just can't find them today.

Can somebody who knows right off-hand point me?

Thanks!
    Last edited by rcrosier; 30 Jan 2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: remove links

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Where is the code for the product listing sort "up" and "down' arrow?

I suspect that your database collation is at fault
    1.3.9h used latin swedish and 1.5.1 uses utf-8
    Search this forum for the solution
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Where is the code for the product listing sort "up" and "down' arrow?

Kobra, as I stated in my original post, I did search the forum, for about two hours this morning, but found only this article:

http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?313

Which states: "If your site IS RUNNING or you have UPGRADED FROM an older version of Zen Cart where your language files are/were set to iso-8859-1, and you don't have any specific need for extended-character multibyte support (for example your store is only in english and only english-speaking customers visit your store), then you may find it best to keep your site in iso-8859-1 (aka "latin1") mode instead of converting to UTF8."

Which I have already done, and it did not help THIS issue.

There is MUCH conflicting information on here regarding UTF-8 and latin1, etc, and it's VERY unclear as to whether I need to convert all my data or not. If I do not HAVE to, and I kind of think I don't, then I'd rather not.

My website is working fine, and all "body" content is currently fine, including removal of all the "?"'s that appeared after conversion, except for this one thing, as far as I can see at this time.

Therefore, all I need is to know what file contains the setup or definition of those two characters that are shown after the column heading, and display the sort UP and DOWN character, and I can then change it to something that works.

If there is a definitive article stating that I have to convert, or why, then I'd be happy to read that as well, but all the searching I've done, it is not so clear that I need to, for reasons stated above.

Plugin Contributions

Up--down arrows are not default and are probably in your template files (mobi_blue) if your site is the one in your sig
    You can check by switching to the classic template for a moment
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default [SOLVED] Re: Where is the code for the product listing sort "up" and "down' arrow?

I found the place where this is set/changed, in case anyone needs it. It's set up in the Admin/configuration, under "Product Listing"

There are two items, "Product Listing Ascending Sort Order" and "Product Listing Descending Sort Order". You can enter whatever you want to display there, but some special characters may or may not work right, as I found out today.

Here are a few settings, the first is the default "+" or "-" sign, second is text, third is an UP and DOWN arrow that seems to work with "Latin-1" character set, on my site:

Name:  SortCharacters-2.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  5.9 KB

Name:  SortCharacters-1.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  6.2 KB

Name:  SortCharacters-3.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  5.5 KB

I hope this saves someone a few hours one day...