Plugin Contributions

Default Override Files Not Working

Background:

About six months ago I installed a ZenCart shop for the first time. When I customized the shop using overrides, the process worked perfectly (perhaps dumb luck). I was very careful about creating new customized directories to prevent upgrade losses. I never encountered a single glitch; I created the new files from the default files, placed the new files in the new directories, and they took over from there.

Yesterday I carried out a second Zen Cart installation (new, for another store) and danged if I can get the override system to work at all. As far as I can tell, I've done everything precisely as I did with the first installation: I created new customized directories where appropriate, I made copies of the files to be changed, I stored the copies in the new directories, made the desired changes, then saved and uploaded the edited files, and nothing happens. The store rendered online looks precisely as it did fresh out of the box.

Clearly, I'm doing something wrong, but I just can't find the error. Here's an example that stands for all. I needed to make changes to the english.php file, so I created a new directory "keltkar" in includes/languages. I copied the english.php file and placed the copy in includes/languages/keltkar. I then edited this copied file. After making the desired changes. I uploaded the new directory with the edited english.php file to the appropriate place in my server files.

And nothing happened. The Zencart system keeps reading the default english.php and won't spare so much as a glance at my edited file. I've carried out this process with other files in the override system (most especially in includes/templates), but none of the override files manage to override anything.

I installed my original store (six months ago) on a Godaddy server; this time I'm using a HostGator server. Here's other basic information on my most recent installation:

Zencart version: 1.5.1
    New installation, not an upgrade
    Uploaded via FTP, then installed with zc_install
    Not error messages given during installation
    No plugins/addons installed
    Server PHP version: 5.2.17
    MySQL version: 5.5.23-55
    Problem started: immediately on installation (overrides haven't worked at all)
    Site URL: lunekeltkar.com (nothing much there, though, just the standard Zencart installation)
    Have I looked for the answer in the FAQ/forums? Yes, for a couple days now. I've read through all the material that I could find about the Zencart override system, and *as far as I can tell*, I'm doing it right.

Of course, I'm *not* doing it right, or the dang thing would be working. I'll appreciate any direction. As I said at the beginning, this problem is particularly vexing to me as I didn't have a *single* problem with the overrides when I installed my first ZenCart shop.

Thanks,

LuneKeltkar

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Override Files Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by LuneKeltkar View Post
    Here's an example that stands for all. I needed to make changes to the english.php file, so I created a new directory "keltkar" in includes/languages. I copied the english.php file and placed the copy in includes/languages/keltkar. I then edited this copied file. After making the desired changes. I uploaded the new directory with the edited english.php file to the appropriate place in my server files.

And nothing happened. The Zencart system keeps reading the default english.php and won't spare so much as a glance at my edited file. I've carried out this process with other files in the override system (most especially in includes/templates), but none of the override files manage to override anything.
    If you don't have a /includes/templates/keltar/template_info.php file, then you won't be able to select the "keltar" template in your admin, and thus none of the changes you've put in "keltar" folders will have any effect.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...ustom-template
    http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...late-overrides

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte,

I replied to your direction yesterday, but apparently my reply didn't take. Basically I thanked you for the direction. I did indeed have the customized template_info.php in place, but I had neglected to activate the customized template through tools. When I re-read the directions contained in your first link, I realized my oversight and activated the customized template. All's working fine now.

Lune

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Thanks for posting back!

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.