Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default title tag is empty on product pages

The page title is missing on my product pages. I suspect I have erred somewhere while installing a mod. Can anyone lead me to the correct files that manage this? I'm on ZENCART 1.3.9

problem:
    <title></title>

Sample url:
    http://www.crimescene.com/store/inde...roducts_id=694

Thanks
    Tom

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: title tag is empty on product pages

Quote Originally Posted by tomarriola View Post
    The page title is missing on my product pages. I suspect I have erred somewhere while installing a mod. Can anyone lead me to the correct files that manage this? I'm on ZENCART 1.3.9

problem:
    <title></title>

Sample url:
    http://www.crimescene.com/store/inde...roducts_id=694

Thanks
    Tom

Perhaps this:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...-product-pages

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Thanks. I have the settings on for "Show Metatags Title Default - Product Name" I also have the language files populated. The metatags show up for category pages. My guess is I made a mess of the header.php but none of my experiments worked to resolve the empty title
    Tom

Plugin Contributions

Try switching to the classic template and see what displays

If they are there then you have confined it to your custom template files
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

It is missing in the classic template too. Which file there holds the key-- anyone know?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Double-check all your language files under /includes/languages and undo any changes you've made to /includes/modules/meta_tags.php and/or /includes/modules/NAME_OF_YOUR_TEMPLATES_HERE/meta_tags.php

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks-- those files are populated and appear to be working. I know this because the titles do appear under certain urls

Surely this is a clue to someone who knows the inner-workings. To me it is a big mystery. Both products are type: product-general
    Tom

The <title> is populated. This item is in the clearance category. Any item in clearance works
    http://www.crimescene.com/store/inde...oducts_id=1004

The <title> is NOT populated. This is in a different category
    http://www.crimescene.com/store/inde...products_id=51

Plugin Contributions

Thanks-- those files are populated and appear to be working. I know this because the titles do appear under certain urls
    It was never implied that those files would be unpopulated. As for the comment "appear to be working", this isn't really helpful. There could bejust some entries in the file that aren't working, and those will be the ones you need to fix. This will explain why you only have the problem with some categories.

I'm not in any way suggesting that this IS the case, but you can't eliminate the possibility just because "they are populated and appear to be working".

Surely this is a clue to someone who knows the inner-workings.
    Ouch! What a slap in the face. I don't think anyone knows the inner workings better than DrByte.
    If I were you I'd actually go back and do as he suggested *before* looking into other possibilities.

To me it is a big mystery.
    If it weren't, you wouldn't be here seeking a solution now, would you.

Both products are type: product-general
    This could be a clue if the problem is with all products of the type product-general (and nothing else), otherwise it it doesn't really tell us anything.

Speaking of clues, if you navigate your way to catalog->categories/products->top, then look at the far right of the screen you'll see a something that looks a bit like a radiation warning symbol. Are these the same colour for all categories? If so, what colour?
    What about the products themselves? Same deal, are these symbols all the same colour, or are the problem products a different colour?

I'm going to take a punt and suggest that the categories/products without the title tags will be showing as a red colour, and all the others will be black.

Click on one of the red ones and you'll probably note that the 'title' field is empty. That'll explain your problem too. If the symbols are all black, then the problem is elsewhere.

Cheers
    Rod
    Last edited by RodG; 8 Mar 2013 at 12:59 PM.

Plugin Contributions

I've been posting here since 2004 and DrByte has helped me more than once. I'm not discounting his knowledge. I compared my language files to a virgin copy and replaced them with virgin copies as well. I did the same with the metatags.php file

The good news is --> Your advice to look at the meta-tag icon proved to be useful.

With few exceptions, the metatags are off (and the on/off settings are set to no as below.) When I set them to "on" the tags meta-details populate the page.
    No Product Name
    No Title:
    No Model:
    No Price:
    No Title/Tagline:

Until some recent point in time those tags all appeared in the title tag. Now it appears I will need to open 900 products and click checkboxes to yes in the metatag setting. Is there a checkbox elsewhere that places these items in by default?

I'm not making it up. Our pages all had titles, product names and price info in the title. Now they don't. I'm hoping I don't need to click 900 products to click 5 items to yes. Instead there surely must be is a higher level checkbox that needs to be set so they are displayed by default. I'm Hoping...

Thanks
    Tom

Plugin Contributions

I've been posting here since 2004 and DrByte has helped me more than once. I'm not discounting his knowledge. I compared my language files to a virgin copy and replaced them with virgin copies as well. I did the same with the metatags.php file

The good news is --> Your advice to look at the meta-tag icon proved to be useful.

With few exceptions, the metatags are off (and the on/off settings are set to no as below.) When I set them to "on" the tags meta-details populate the page.
    No Product Name
    No Title:
    No Model:
    No Price:
    No Title/Tagline:

Until some recent point in time those tags all appeared in the title tag. Now it appears I will need to open 900 products and click checkboxes to yes in the metatag setting. Is there a checkbox elsewhere that places these items in by default?

I'm not making it up. Our pages all had titles, product names and price info in the title. Now they don't. I'm hoping I don't need to click 900 products to click 5 items to yes. Instead there surely must be is a higher level checkbox that needs to be set so they are displayed by default. I'm Hoping...

Thanks
    Tom
    check here also
    admin->Catalog->Product Types->Edit Layout->Show Metatags Title Default - Product Title

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast