Plugin Contributions

Default Sure seems like a lot of $ for a lot of work...

I am trying to justify using zen cart when I can use shopify or amazon webstore for practically the same cost! The only difference is the 1 to 2% processing fee that they charge. And for a small seller like me that doesn't really matter.

So I have on one hand an instant store with all the hosting and SSL taken care of with some flexibility in design but not completely.

Or I have months of work and hassle just to save pocket change per month...

It's funny that I have my site completely built and ready to go but the SSL and hosting is what has stopped me dead. I am so close to subscribing to shopify and saying eff it all, even after all this hard work.

I am just venting...

I do have a question though! Is the potential for search engines to find my store greater with zen cart? I hear search engine results for amazon webstore are terrible, but I am not familiar with shopify.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Sure seems like a lot of $ for a lot of work...

Is the potential for search engines to find my store greater with zen cart?
    With your own domain and some work your shop can do very well with the search engines
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

That is reason enough to stay, if search placement can be tweaked. I just had a moment of frustration. Just trying to find a good web host that doesn't ask for so much money up front.

Plugin Contributions

Just trying to find a good web host that doesn't ask for so much money up front.
    Maximum should be one months hosting fees....
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Shopify is a fine product, but it doesn't give you total control over everything the way Zen Cart does. The point of Zen Cart is not to save you "pocket change per month." The point is to let you build exactly what you want.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by runfrombears View Post
    I am trying to justify using zen cart when I can use shopify or amazon webstore for practically the same cost! The only difference is the 1 to 2% processing fee that they charge.
    For many people, that is all the justification that is needed.

And for a small seller like me that doesn't really matter.
    Personally I don't see any difference between a 'small seller' and a 'large seller'. In either case if the profit margins are only 1% (unlikely, I know) this processing fee makes the difference between a profit and a loss.

So you have on one hand an instant store with all the hosting and SSL taken care of with some flexibility in design but not completely.
    It is the 'not completely' part that matters to most. With ZenCart you have complete flexibility, not only in the design, but also the functionality. Want to add a feature that isn't currently supported? With ZenCart you can. With shopify/amazon you are limited to the features and function they provide.

Or you have months of work and hassle just to save pocket change per month....
    I'm not sure where the 'months of work' comes from. A person can have a fully functional ZenCart store in less than an hour, and that includes installing a new template files and a few products.

It's funny that I have my site completely built and ready to go but the SSL and hosting is what has stopped me dead.
    You do realise that SSL isn't needed for ZenCart functionality don't you? Yes, I know you'll find 1000's of people tell you that it is 'essential for security', but few people actually know what SSL and what it does, and why in many cases it can actually be *detrimental* to both the site security and peoples unwillingness to purchase from a poorly configured SSL site (of which there are too many to mention).

I am so close to subscribing to shopify and saying eff it all, even after all this hard work.
    It wasn't work, it was a training/educational experience. The question now is, what are you going to do with all this training and knowledge that you've gained?

I am just venting...
    No problem with that, but why *now*? I could appreciate this if you'd spent all that time and you are still having problems with no end in sight, but it seems to me that you are ready for the eCommerce 'race', but you are considering changing horses at the starting gate. What happened?

I do have a question though! Is the potential for search engines to find my store greater with zen cart? I hear search engine results for amazon webstore are terrible, but I am not familiar with shopify.
    You'll probably never find any definitive answer to this, but what I/we can tell you is that ZenCart itself is *very* search engine friendly (straight 'out of the box').

The 'success' in the various search engines is predominately directly related to site content, so all else being equal, the eCommerce software being used is somewhat a non issue. Of more serious concern is where the sites are hosted and any restrictions placed on those sites in regards to how/when/if the site is allowed to be indexed/crawled.

Just my 10cents worth.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

When people ask me about getting a shopping cart set up I tell them:
    1. Don't contact a programmer and tell them to make you a site (yes people think they have to build the code from scratch)
    2. If you think you are going to be either really small or really bad at picking up the basics of php and html then go with shopify or similar.
    3. If you are going to have some decent sales (vague I know), you want total control of your site design, and aren't scared to learn the basics of handling a site then go with Zen Cart.

It sounds like you already put in the time to do the "hard" part of customizing Zen Cart to your needs. So at this point there is no reason to switch carts.

Finding cheap hosting and SSL is easy.

What I want to know is, why are you planning to be small? "And for a small seller like me that doesn't really matter."

Plugin Contributions

People who complain bitterly about the (negligible) cost of hosting and the price of good technical consulting, obviously can't be that serious about business.

Whether you are setting up a traditional bricks 'n mortar shop, or an online store, it still requires INVESTMENT and a proper business plan.

Nothing wrong with running a site as "a hobby" - but don't moan about costs that are actually insignificant in the greater scheme of things. Rather take the family out for a burger at McDonalds - (same cost as 6-months hosting at a good provider).
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

@lindasdd's response about staying small is the best of all. Rather than planning to stay small and unsuccessful, figure out what you need to do to actually make your venture work.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Or I have months of work and hassle just to save pocket change per month...
    Months???

I have built many zencart sites and my "record" for getting a fully functional, ready-to-take-orders, bespoke graphics website up and running is a little over 3 hours.

Don't believe me... ?

Go look at it here.