Plugin Contributions

Default Tax Classes - Taxable Goods

Hello, I have to set up multiple tax rates for different counties and also cities within my one state. Something's not working right so may I ask - if all of my products are considered "Taxable Goods" - so, all of my products belong to just one Tax Class - do I still need to set up additional Tax Classes (they would all be "Taxable Goods") for each defined zone? The ZC tutorial makes it look like you have to set up an additional Tax Class for each Zone Definition, but that seems unnecessary if all products belong to the same Tax Class.

Many thanks for making Zen Cart possible, you guys are awesome.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Tax Classes - Taxable Goods

Quote Originally Posted by luckystu View Post
    ... I have to set up multiple tax rates for different counties and also cities within my one state. ...
    Last I checked Zen Cart does not support multiple tax rates based upon counties and cities out of box... Only by state.

There is a third party plugin "Local Sales Taxes", but that requires making sure only states are set up in Zen Cart for the "base tax rate" and then "local sales tax" rates are added on top of the state tax rate.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lhungil View Post
    Last I checked Zen Cart does not support multiple tax rates based upon counties and cities out of box... Only by state.
    In a previous thread from years ago, someone in my same situation (multiple tax rates for different counties and cities within 1 state) tackled this by creating zones for each county and city in his state. He then set up corresponding Zone Definitions and Tax Rates, and this apparently worked. The question I have is when it comes to - Tax Classes - do I need to create a Tax Class for each defined zone, even if all my products belong to the same Tax Class, which is Taxable Goods? Again, the ZC tutorial makes it sound like this needs to be done, but it seems unnecessary. Would appreciate any clarification on this specific point. Thank You.

Plugin Contributions

Taxcloud does exactly what you are looking for. CO has crazy tax laws, green tax, RTD tax, tech tax, even across the street from one another.

Well worth the time getting it installed if you have to charge taxes down to the county/city/address.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
    Taxcloud does exactly what you are looking for. CO has crazy tax laws, green tax, RTD tax, tech tax, even across the street from one another.
    Thanks, I will definitely look into Taxcloud, sounds like a good option. In the meantime, can anyone answer this specific question about Tax Classes - does a Tax Class have to be created for each defined zone, even if all products belong to the same Tax Class, which is Taxable Goods? Again, the ZC tutorial makes it sound like this needs to be done, but it seems unnecessary. Many thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lhungil View Post
    There is a third party plugin "Local Sales Taxes", but that requires making sure only states are set up in Zen Cart for the "base tax rate" and then "local sales tax" rates are added on top of the state tax rate.
    Hi lhungil, would you kindly explain if the "Local Sales Taxes" plugin would allow BOTH county and city tax rates within one state to be configured? I don't want to input zip codes, so names of cities AND counties is how I'd go. I saw "suburbs" as an option for this plugin but 1) what does "suburbs" refer to exactly, counties? and 2) on the plugin thread, I believe you stated that "suburbs" is not supported? I need to figure out how to add all the proper sales tax rates in my state - which is proving to be a very difficult task. Thank You.

Plugin Contributions

I used taxcloud_1.5.2_for_zc_151 and solved that problem forever. They do all states, yours only if you wish, so if taxes change, once installed you are perfect. It is the answer and nobody posted it as I read so many of these things looking for a solution. Didn't notice the post above, sorry, but it took only an hour or two. Great product. No ownership

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Trademagic View Post
    I used taxcloud_1.5.2_for_zc_151 and solved that problem forever.
    Trademagic, a million thanks! Your timing is perfect, as I just installed TaxCloud earlier this week. It seems like a very helpful sales tax tool, but at the moment, there appears to be an incompatibility issue between TaxCloud and FEC (Fast and Easy Checkout) on our cart. We need FEC because the one thing we've learned over the years in running a business online is many customers, even repeat customers, prefer to checkout as a guest without having an account or having to register. I hope we don't have to choose between TaxCloud and FEC. Anyone out there using both TC and FEC? Thank You.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by luckystu View Post
    In a previous thread from years ago, someone in my same situation (multiple tax rates for different counties and cities within 1 state) tackled this by creating zones for each county and city in his state. He then set up corresponding Zone Definitions and Tax Rates, and this apparently worked. The question I have is when it comes to - Tax Classes - do I need to create a Tax Class for each defined zone, even if all my products belong to the same Tax Class, which is Taxable Goods? Again, the ZC tutorial makes it sound like this needs to be done, but it seems unnecessary. Would appreciate any clarification on this specific point. Thank You.
    Hi Luckystu,
    Did you ever get the answer for the question about having to set up taxes for each zone?
    I have the same query.
    Thanks