Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Stirling Grand Responsive Template

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
    Hi Anne... let me first just say that this template is a first class, five star effort... six stars, even... and I thank you very much for it - and will be donating to you. I was thrilled to come across it.

I'm currently upgrading/recreating a 1.39 site in 1.51 and have a fair amount of experience tweaking Zen through php/css and sql queries. What would be your recommended route for breaking out product categories along the top bar (in the full screen "desktop" version)? Two categories would be okay, but I would really like three, with products dropping down just as they already do. I have no problem moving the other links to make room, so bar space is not an issue.

Ideally, these would carry over in the middle responsive version, but as long as the categories could still condense (or disappear entirely) at smaller screen sizes, that would be fine, too. I explored some ways including messing with "manufacturers" (it's all one manufacturer, but someone suggested that as a hacky way of going about it). There was another solution in Mega Menu which involved querying, but this proved fairly unsatisfactory in the responsive environment... and I also might have borked the whole menu in the process, so I decided to give up and go back to the (very nice) default.

I didn't want to spend too much longer on a wild goose chase without at least first getting your opinion on what method might work best for this inside your template, if any. The existing cart has legacy product urls (or at least product id's) that I would like to maintain because of google. Any ideas? Thank you.
    I am so happy that you like the package and have found it useful ;)

You can show all of the top categories by using the alternate category_ul_generator.php file found in the css horizontal drop down menu module:

http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1243

The upgrade should not effect your product urls at all since you will be using the same database ;)

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by picaflor-azul View Post
    I am so happy that you like the package and have found it useful ;)

You can show all of the top categories by using the alternate category_ul_generator.php file found in the css horizontal drop down menu module:

http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1243

The upgrade should not effect your product urls at all since you will be using the same database ;)

Thanks,

Anne
    Hi Anne...

Thank you for leading me in the right direction. Got it mostly working but couldn't figure out how to show subcategories under the categories. After a bit of hair pulling and reading (again) through the entire Mega Menu thread, I found this link:

http://nigeltsblog.blogspot.co.uk/20...pdown-for.html

Which explains it step by step and works perfectly. Thanks again. Will be donating soon... the template is well worth it.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
    Hi Anne...

Thank you for leading me in the right direction. Got it mostly working but couldn't figure out how to show subcategories under the categories. After a bit of hair pulling and reading (again) through the entire Mega Menu thread, I found this link:

http://nigeltsblog.blogspot.co.uk/20...pdown-for.html

Which explains it step by step and works perfectly. Thanks again. Will be donating soon... the template is well worth it.
    I am happy that you figured it out ;)

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

I highly suggest you avoid this package. It is impossible to change the image in the header! I have wasted several hours of my own time and have even paid a professional to have a look. The amount of work it takes to do the most simple thing imaginable is completely mind boggling! Save yourself a HUGE headache and use something else! You will regret installing this!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by SBNHPV View Post
    I highly suggest you avoid this package. It is impossible to change the image in the header! I have wasted several hours of my own time and have even paid a professional to have a look. The amount of work it takes to do the most simple thing imaginable is completely mind boggling! Save yourself a HUGE headache and use something else! You will regret installing this!
    There are instructions in the readme.html file for changing the logo. There is also a tutorial in the FAQs section of this site with instructions on how to change the logo. This is one of the most basic changes that you will make to any template and literally thousands of users have made this change without getting headaches

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

There are instructions in the readme.html file for changing the logo. There is also a tutorial in the FAQs section of this site with instructions on how to change the logo. This is one of the most basic changes that you will make to any template and literally thousands of users have made this change without getting headaches

Thanks,

Anne
    True, I guess I should have been more clear. Changing the logo is easy as pie. If you want to make the logo larger than the tiny little space they provide for it. You are completely left out to dry! If you're cool with a barely readable little image tucked away in the upper left corner of your site, this zen cart thing is perfect for you! If you want something that looks good, you're in the wrong place!

Plugin Contributions

True, I guess I should have been more clear. Changing the logo is easy as pie. If you want to make the logo larger than the tiny little space they provide for it. You are completely left out to dry! If you're cool with a barely readable little image tucked away in the upper left corner of your site, this zen cart thing is perfect for you! If you want something that looks good, you're in the wrong place!
    SBNHPV,

With all due respect, you're off base with your comments about this template. Anne's FREE work is an asset to anyone running Zen Cart. I recently changed one of my sites to this template (Stirling Grand), and got incredible feedback from most of my wholesale customers. My sales and page views also jumped immediately.

The problem here is your perception of how the logo should be changed, or the software should work. And the solution is simple, find another cart/template that does work for you...or re-assess your expectation of how much work it is to get your logo the way you want it. You wouldn't buy a dump truck and then complain that you lost a drag race. So my suggestion is that your expectation of the tool you chose was incorrect. I'd suggest that you look for another cart/template that specifically allows for the type of logo changes you need.

The same concept can be applied to Zen Cart. It is a free shopping cart. If it doesn't work for you, you are free to use something different. The sense of entitlement here disappoints me. Both the cart and the template are free, but you've done nothing but bash them. The better solution would have been to realize that Zen Cart and/or Stirling Grand didn't fit your needs or expectations, and move on to something different.

There is no need to make blanket statements that someone will "...regret installing this" based purely on your misperceptions.
    Last edited by jlizotte; 17 Mar 2014 at 12:59 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Really? I changed my logo specifics one morning after downloading this template while walking my dog on my mobile phone. I've probably made hundreds of customizations to my site this way, it really is that simple. why be stuck at a desk.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by picandnix View Post
    Really? I changed my logo specifics one morning after downloading this template while walking my dog on my mobile phone. I've probably made hundreds of customizations to my site this way, it really is that simple. why be stuck at a desk.
    LOL

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

LOL

Thanks,

Anne
    I believe the person posting was just frustrated, as I am. Instead of lashing back that a person should know how to do this or go elsewhere, there should be a little more understanding that some people need specific support, e.g. 'change this in css, and this code in this template file' to adjust settings for larger logos. I am a designer and know html and have an intermediate knowledge of css. But when we're on a forum and we ask, I think the support should be there other than, 'You might have to tweak the style sheet'. That's my current frustration as well.

Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast