Plugin Contributions

Default Dynamic Dropdown Menus on Product Page

Firstly I need to apologise for being a total n00b, with very little coding abilities.

My issue is this: On my site we sell synthetic dreadlocks. These are highly customisable, with a number of variables, but I can't find a simple way to implement this on the product page. I'm hoping that someone has already written some code that does what I'd like, and if I've missed it (I have been looking) it'd be great if someone could point me in the right direction!

So my issue in more detail:

If someone picks a product, say shoulder-length dread falls, the product page has a drop down box with 3 options that increase the price with each one - these are to do with the number of dreads in the fall - then there is two text boxes where they can tell us their colour choices and any special instructions. The problem is that there are a number of customisable styles that affect price that I've had to set up as a separate product listing and this assumes that the customer has an intimate knowledge of the product - i.e. number of individual dreads in each fall - basically it becomes very confusing.

What I'd like is a first dropdown box with 3 options (basic 50 dreads, standard 60 dreads, full 80 dreads), that dynamically changes the options of a second dropdown with 5 options, both of which affect the final price of the product. E.g.

Dropdown 1 ------------------------------- > Dropdown 2 -----------------------------> Price

---------------------------------------------> Blended (+£0)-------------------------------------------£55
    ---------------------------------------------> Swirled (+£0.40 per dread)---------------------------- £75
    Basic (50 dreads +£0)--------------------> Transitional (+£0.60 per dread)-----------------------£85
    ---------------------------------------------->Natural (+£0.50 per dread)-----------------------------£80
    ---------------------------------------------->Wrapped (+£0.50 per dread)----------------------------£80

------------------------------------------------>Blended (+£0)-------------------------------------------£65
    -------------------------------------------------->Swirled (+£0.40 per dread)--------------------------£89
    Standard (60 dreads +£10)------------------>Transitional (+£0.60 per dread)----------------------£101
    --------------------------------------------------> Natural (+£0.50 per dread)--------------------------£95
    --------------------------------------------------->Wrapped (+£0.50 per dread)--------------------------£95

Now, just to make it more complicated, ideally I'd like customers to be able to choose a quantity of each of the second dropdowns, which again would result in a different final price. So for example, someone might want a set of basic falls with 40 out of the 50 dreads without any special styling, then 5 transitionals and 5 wrapped (the price would be £60.50). I think colours would still have to be chosen using a text box, otherwise this will get far too complicated, and anyhow colour doesn't affect price.

So that's probably as clear as mud, but I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this!

Here are the links to the two product pages I mentioned:

http://neonblackonline.net/shop/cust...ength-p-7.html

http://neonblackonline.net/shop/inde...products_id=10

Thanks!
    Last edited by evildave; 22 Oct 2013 at 03:20 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Dynamic Dropdown Menus on Product Page

This will require custom javascript coding; it cannot be done with stock features. Your best bet is to contact someone skilled in this (not me:) and hire them to develop it. "Dependent attributes", as these are called, have such a wide range of possible ways of operating that there can be no generic code to handle even most of the possibilities.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Dynamic Dropdown Menus on Product Page

Thanks for the reply! I suspected this might be the case, but I imagine the cost of doing this will be prohibitive.