Plugin Contributions

Default 301 redirect for products in moved categories

Hi

I have just upgraded my zencart sites and in the process I decided to move some high level categories down a level in effect making them sub-categories.

I have heard of 301 redirection however I am not sure if a Category level redirect also works for products within that category. For example do I have to assign redirects to each category as well as each individual product? Or will a category redirect cover both.

Also when looking though the threads on 301 redirect I came across a post by Dr Byte which seems to imply that the /includes/init_includes/init_category_path.php file can be used as detailed below. (I personally prefer this menthod than using the HTaccess but just need to understand the pros and cons.

So if anyone can provide any assitance or advice it would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Brinley

Code:
    $this_is_home_page = ($current_page=='index' && (!isset($_GET['cPath'])) && (!isset($_GET['manufacturers_id'])) && (!isset($_GET['typefilter'])) );

// redirect certain categories to others, instead of the usual approach of cross-linking products to alternate categories via the admin
    $newPath = '';
    if ($cPath == '3_12') $newPath = '54_60';
    if ($cPath == '22') $newPath = '2_19';

if ($newPath != '') {
      header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
      zen_redirect(zen_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath=' . $newPath));
    }
    ?>

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 301 redirect for products in moved categories

you can do 301 on Cpanel , that super easy

I do suggest you redirect to the domain without (www)

faster to ranking

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 301 redirect for products in moved categories

Okay I figured I would leave a note on what I discovered regarding 301 redirects just in case it is of benefit to someone else.

Originally I figured I needed to add 301 redirects to the products and categories I had moved into sub categories based on the assumption that google would not be able to find the moved products leading to broken links. During the research process I also read an article saying that it was necessary to have 301 redirects for non www links as Google could deem a www & non www site duplicate content.

The resulting changes I have made to my sites based on the above issues has been..............zero.

And here's my reasoning:
    If I typed in a non www url for my site the only page that would appear as such is the first page and after that, because the config files on my sites specify www, all subsequent pages contain the www.
    With regards to the moved products and categories I did a test found one of my products on google and clicked the link to the old url and found it went to the new url. The reason for this is that the moved product retained the canonical link which meant the product was found .
    Finally I should mention that I did play with 301 redirects and found getting them to work was quite fiddly as some of them caused problems with ssl as the overode the redirect that ssl requires. Eventually I did get it to work but decided based on the above reasoning I figured it was not needed.
    Finally I did have a few people mention that non www sites are liked better by Google but every time I asked for more details nothing of substance was forthcoming.

Anyway that it - happy to hear any thoughts anyone might have.

Cheers
    Brinley