Plugin Contributions

Default Alphabetizing Glitches

Not a problem, really,

just an aggravation. I have my global product sort set to alphabetize product lists by product names. Unless I have a compelling reason to sort products with individual Sort Orders (hardly ever), I just give all products in a particular category the same Sort Order, then let the system present them alphabetically. Almost always this process works like a charm, but occasionally I encounter cases where the system alphabetizing appears to fail, that is, a product appears in lists out of proper alphabetical order.

Here's an example that I've just run into:

http://lunekeltkar.com/catalog/index...&cPath=159_167

This page shows a list of oil painting reproductions based on originals by William-Adolphe Bouguereau. Each product name begins with the artist's last name followed immediately by a colon and a space, then the name of the painting. In this list, "Bouguereau: Premier Deuil" should properly come between "Bouguereau: Les remords d'Oreste" and "Bouguereau: Psyché et L'Amour". Instead, it appears out of order between "Bouguereau: La jeunesse de Bacchus" and "Bouguereau: Le ravissement de Psyché".

I've tried re-entering the product name letter by letter, previewing and updating the product description after entering each letter. As I enter the name letter by letter, the system properly alphabetizes *until* I enter the P, at which point the product suddenly appears in its old unalphabetical place. I also entirely deleted the product and re-entered it from scratch, but I got the same unalphabetical result.

I know of course that the system isn't really making an error in alphabetizing the list; it just appears so. *Clearly* I'm making some error when I enter the product name, but danged if I can find it. If anyone has a solution, I would be much obliged.

Ken Baker

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Alphabetizing Glitches

That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Support
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.