Plugin Contributions

Default Plugin authors: Check for use of mysql* functions for compatibility with v1.5.2

RodG's post (http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...53#post1230753) should be a wake-up call to any plugin authors who use PHP mysql* functions rather than using the Zen Cart $db-related functions. Since v1.5.2 converted to use mysqli* functions, any plugin that uses mysql* functions will experience an error when used in v1.5.2.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Plugin authors: Check for use of mysql* functions for compatibility with v1.5.2

If only the following PHP mysql* functions need upgrading:
    mysql_fetch_array
    mysql_query

then for me it looks like these important mods will require an upgrade:
    SuperOrders
    EasyPopulate4
    OzPost

But are there any other PHP mysql* functions that need to be addressed?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Plugin authors: Check for use of mysql* functions for compatibility with v1.5.2

There are many others:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php

But which of these PHP mysql* funcitions are not compatible with zencart 152.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dw08gm View Post
    There are many others:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php

But which of these PHP mysql* funcitions are not compatible with zencart 152.
    I'm guessing that the answer is "none of them".

Plugin Contributions

Whoops. My bad. Briefly confused mysql* with the mysqli* functions.

What I intended to ask is whether any of the PHP mysqli* functions are incompatible with or otherwise to be replaced by specific Zen Cart 152+ $db-related functions.

Happy Holidays

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dw08gm View Post
    Whoops. My bad. Briefly confused mysql* with the mysqli* functions.

What I intended to ask is whether any of the PHP mysqli* functions are incompatible with or otherwise to be replaced by specific Zen Cart 152+ $db-related functions.

Happy Holidays
    Understood, since mysqli* does fall under mysql*! I should have more properly phrased the functions as mysql_*.

Just like the previous versions of Zen Cart abstract the database calls (using mysql_* functions) via the query_factory class, v1.5.2 provides the same interface abstraction using mysqli_* calls -- thus making the transition from the (now deprecated) mysql_* calls transparent to any code that calls the $db interface (or the zen_db* functions). If I found the need to use a mysqli_* function that is not currently abstracted by the Zen Cart database class, I'd create a suggestion for Zen Cart to include that function's processing within the database class structure.

Plugin Contributions

Since it sounds like ZC v1.5.3 is coming soon, I thought that I'd refresh this thread to remind plugin authors to check their plugins for compatibility with ZC 1.5.2 (and later) relative to the use of any PHP mysql_* direct function calls. Since the $db object in ZC 1.5.2+ uses a mysqli interface, it is incompatible with any use of PHP mysql_* functions!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Clarification: The current version of PHP is what's incompatible with the old mysql_xxxx() function calls.
    Your custom code should always be using the built-in $db object, and NOT writing your own direct calls to mysql_xxxx() or mysqli_xxxxx() functions.

And, keep in mind that the syntax is different between the mysql_xxxx() and mysqli_xxxx() functions. You can't just change them out for the other ones. You must also change a number of parameters. THAT is one big reason why you should just use the built-in $db object methods in your ZC plugins. And also the fact that the $db object handles security correctly, and making your own calls to mysql functions does not.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.