Thread: USPS Insurance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default USPS Insurance?

Hello,

I'd like to make USPS insurance an option for the customers on my site.

Here are two concerns:

1. I get a big discount on USPS insurance from my current shipping software provider. Can I pass the insurance savings onto my customers? I don't want them to pay more than they need to.

2. USPS Priority flat rate already comes with $50 of free insurance. I want Zen Cart to know that insurance purchased for Priority flat rate will be additional insurance. Will this pose a problem?

Thanks in advance!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: USPS Insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by brillarmory View Post
    Hello,

I'd like to make USPS insurance an option for the customers on my site.

Here are two concerns:

1. I get a big discount on USPS insurance from my current shipping software provider. Can I pass the insurance savings onto my customers? I don't want them to pay more than they need to.

2. USPS Priority flat rate already comes with $50 of free insurance. I want Zen Cart to know that insurance purchased for Priority flat rate will be additional insurance. Will this pose a problem?

Thanks in advance!
    For item 1, I would say to read your agreement with your current shipper, you may not be allowed to charge your customers for that associated fee. After that (ie, if allowed), then just need to pass the approriate information to and from the module to accouunt for the desired services to be paid by the customer.

Item 2, I haven't looked into the newly coded USPS module, but I would guess that it is coded to recognize to not begin charging extra insurance until the value was considered to exceed the threshhold established by the USPS. Just my guess, but would surprise me if not so coded and not told so in the install instructions.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    For item 1, I would say to read your agreement with your current shipper, you may not be allowed to charge your customers for that associated fee. After that (ie, if allowed), then just need to pass the approriate information to and from the module to accouunt for the desired services to be paid by the customer.

Item 2, I haven't looked into the newly coded USPS module, but I would guess that it is coded to recognize to not begin charging extra insurance until the value was considered to exceed the threshhold established by the USPS. Just my guess, but would surprise me if not so coded and not told so in the install instructions.
    Thank you.

Currently, I see no option to offer insurance with the USPS module... How do I get this?

Plugin Contributions

Thank you.

Currently, I see no option to offer insurance with the USPS module... How do I get this?
    Recommend downloading the latest version of USPS http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1292

At least the 2013-07-30 J5 had an option in the adminpanel related to insurance and notification to the customer. I haven't gotten up-to-speed with these new options, but the admin panel has several new settings, one of which includes insurance.

Be sure to follow the directions for install, and remember to backup the database as well as the files before installing/making major changes.

Plugin Contributions

I don't see any options in the USPS shipping module that allows for insurance to be an option for the customer. Does anybody know how to get USPS insurance to work? I have the latest version of the USPS shipping plugin.

Plugin Contributions

At this time, Insurance is not a customer option but a store owner option ... this is set in the USPS shipping module itself ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    At this time, Insurance is not a customer option but a store owner option ... this is set in the USPS shipping module itself ...
    That seems like a major flaw to me. I don't want to force insurance on all of my customers. I would like to give them a choice to purchase insurance.

Plugin Contributions

You might look at the add on for Optional Insurance and see if you can adapt that to your needs ...
    http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=232
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

That seems like a major flaw to me. I don't want to force insurance on all of my customers. I would like to give them a choice to purchase insurance.
    I'd call it unimplemented functionality. Before one of these recent versions, there wasn't even the possibility to have it at all. Been a while since I've personally looked at USPS rate schedules, but I wouldn't wonder if there is a bit of complexity involved to overcome. How many boxes are being shipped, which item(s) are to be considered insured? The entire shipment or just part of it? How would the option(s) be displayed? One line for each with and without insurance? What about the other available options that are store set versus customer set and their being set by the customer? Etc...

Plugin Contributions

How disappointing. You would think that something as important as insurance would be a feature in the official USPS module. I will try the optional insurance module, but based on what I've read it looks complicated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast