Plugin Contributions

Default Sales Tax plug in - Free Rates by TaxRates.com

We have taken the commercial grade plug in written for the cloud service from Avalara,inc (AvaTax) - typically prescribed by accountants who use AvaTax for their erp systems, or sites that have Nexus in multiple states - and replaced the call to their service - with a call that parses the zip code rate files from the web site - http://taxrates.com.

Each state has it's own file, which can be downloaded and updated each month. The tables are provided as a FREE service to smaller businesses who want to do the right thing with sales tax, but are not ready to engage one of the commercial services.

The focus of the module has been simplicity. An install that does not impact core modules or files. To download and copy the tax rate data files to a folder on the server. To conform to the Zen Cart plug in administration standards.

The plug in is FREE and does not have "additional" paid services (like reporting etc) lurking. If you are a larger site, accounting compliance will guide you the appropriate service for your budget. This plug lets you get the rate right, charge sales tax on shipping where needed, and be done!

To see in operation for WA, CA, NV and NY - see demo at - http://zc-tr.posture4u.com/

Reporting is a spreadsheet at the end of the year!

Please use this thread to post any comments or support requests.

Brampton, Cumbria, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Sales Tax plug in - Free Rates by TaxRates.com

Can this plugin be altered for use in the UK? I know we have only one VAT bracket however we actually have four. Also when the VAT changes I do not need to change it.

Also when items are being exported

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Sales Tax plug in - Free Rates by TaxRates.com

Hi,

Thank you for the great mod, I really like it! I am having one issue which I'm not sure if it's because of your mod or if it's something I've done. When a customer chooses store pickup they are getting double taxed. They are getting taxed based on our location and on top of that getting charged sales tax for their location. It would be best for us if they get charged the sales tax based on our location and show that location in the shopping cart and invoices. I haven't dug into the code yet to see what's going on, I thought I'd let you know and see if you've run across this.

Thanks,

Amir