Default Attempt to install demo store pre-upgrade appears to have overwritten my live store?

i have really done it now. Live store was v1.3.9b.
    Was attempting to install demo v1.5.1 store in different folder so to view how it worked before upgrading and now it looks like doing this has overwritten my live store.

•Installed the demo store by running the zc_install with a new database without errors. PHP 5.2.17 MySQL 5.5.32
    •original store v1.3.9 is at http://www.gingerbreadtearoom.com
    Attempted demo store is at http://www.gingerbreadtearoom.com/151demo151
    **i didn't rename the admin or remove the zc_install yet as i was afraid to make matters worse
    Host company=ipower. Unable to find similar posts or anything in FAQs.
    Afraid this was because i installed instead of upgraded... but thought since i was attempting to see an actual new version, and not trying to touch my live store, that i would install instead of upgrade....

1. How do I get my live store back -- i have backups on my pc & copies of my database
    2. How should i have installed a demo, new version to test/view?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Attempt to install demo store pre-upgrade appears to have overwritten my live sto

The new install should have remained entirely in the demo folder, however if your root files were overwritten it's likely your configure.php is confused.

Is it possible to roll back to a server backup of the site before the install?
    Twitch.
    https://www.twitchtoo.com Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Base8 - Obsidian - This, is what's new.

Default Re: Attempt to install demo store pre-upgrade appears to have overwritten my live sto

i just did a restore from a backup of 2 days ago and imported my saved database file. Still getting same errors.
    Last edited by StitchJunkie; 24 Jan 2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo

Plugin Contributions

You could be getting the 'uninstall zc_install folder' because the folder exists regardless of the integrity of your original cart.

Rename the zc_install folder on your remote server to save some time. Then let's see what errors if any you get :)
    Twitch.

renamed 'admin' and 'zc_install' No change

Also there is a folder with my website name in the same level as the public_html folder. i don't know if that has always been there or not... i usually only edit in the public_html folder and haven't noticed. anyway, if i open that gingerbreadtearoom folder, the '151demo151' folder shows there, but is empty.
    Last edited by StitchJunkie; 24 Jan 2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: add more info

Plugin Contributions

Okay, looks like your configure.php files have been overwritten. There may be other files conflicting but the error page you see now is still accurately explaining what is wrong.
    Twitch.

so you believe this is the issue?
    2.Your /includes/configure.php and/or /admin/includes/configure.php file contains invalid path information and/or invalid database-connection information

in addition to doing the system restore on my server, i also manually replaced the 2 config files with the ones i had backed up on my computer.
    Last edited by StitchJunkie; 24 Jan 2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: more

Plugin Contributions

Indeed, without seeing your actual files to compare what 'should' be there and what really is there.

You are welcome to PM me ftp access if you'd like I'll take a quick look before bed :)
    Twitch.

Thanks so much for suggesting restoring from backup. Up and running again with my live store. Here's what ipower did:

restored the website files from the backup dated January 23, 2014 to the folder named 'backup'. I have also updated the domain to point to the folder 'backup'. The website http://gingerbreadtearoom.com/ is now loading fine.
    Can you tell me briefly how they 'point' the domain to the folder? If that's too involved, nevermind, just magic....

Now just need to find out if i placed the folder in the correct location to install a demo store while keeping my live store open, and not overwrite this time. The folder is in public_html/151demo/...does it need to be below the public_html folder....outside? confused
    the main store and all of my old files are now in public_html/backup/
    Last edited by StitchJunkie; 25 Jan 2014 at 01:24 AM. Reason: typo

Plugin Contributions

They love making people believe this 'coding' stuff is 'magic'.

Here's the ticket, they most likely changed the path listed in your htaccess, php.ini or the zen configure.php files OR your site backup had the correct 'original' files (not overwritten by zc_install)

I manage multiple test carts on my own servers like this:

Root folder exists at ...public_html/

I want to install ZenCart 1.51 here ...public_html/twitch_carparts/

So I upload (ftp) the unpacked ZenCart zip files, then navigate to www.thecarpartssite.com/zc_install/ and run the install from FireFox.

My domain (thecarpartsite.com) is set with cPanel to point at the sub directory 'twitch_carparts' before I run the install.

Navigating to ...public_html/ you will also find these installed and self contained ZenCarts:

...public_html/twitch_testing_site/

...public_html/some_other_client_site/

...public_html/showcase_site/

In each case the respective domains are 'pointed' at the sub directory from cPanel or the server side. Therefore ZC is never capable of overwriting any other directories or anything in the root folder of public_html.

Keep asking questions, learn by trial and error it's way more fun!
    Twitch.