Plugin Contributions

Default Cart total, Tax each item or the cart?

Was working on a modification to an existing plugin and among other things to possibly improve the plugin had noticed what seemed like a potential mistake. A module had been added in recently it seems to total the items in the cart when presented on the shopping cart; however, in review of the code to do that each item is taxed then added to the total. I thought that the goal/ideal would be to total each item, then tax the whole or apply each tax type to the group of items that meet that tax type after the cart is made full.

So, I guess the question is this:
    should items be taxed as a group after the cart is full or should taxes be applied to each item then added to the whole?

Seems to me that when I go to the grocery store or otherwise that the first is applicable. Input?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Cart total, Tax each item or the cart?

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Was working on a modification to an existing plugin and among other things to possibly improve the plugin had noticed what seemed like a potential mistake. A module had been added in recently it seems to total the items in the cart when presented on the shopping cart; however, in review of the code to do that each item is taxed then added to the total. I thought that the goal/ideal would be to total each item, then tax the whole or apply each tax type to the group of items that meet that tax type after the cart is made full.

So, I guess the question is this:
    should items be taxed as a group after the cart is full or should taxes be applied to each item then added to the whole?

Seems to me that when I go to the grocery store or otherwise that the first is applicable. Input?
    Is this type thing done differently in different regions? Ie, are both options "correct" but in some one is correct and in others the other is correct?

I'm trying to make sure that the plugin which seems to have been around for a while and still functional with zC 1.5.x, is coded to address the largest possible audience; however, my experience on that side of expectation is limited to my experience as a consumer.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...