Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Confused student

I am new to Linux and even more new to trying to get a server let alone getting a shopping cart up and running.
    The back story
    I am on Linux 106 at my local Community College. For our final project for the term is to get CentOS running within a VM with a GUI then install a lamp and get Zencart up. With SSH access from another CentOS VM. Per the instructor we can use any resource we can find. He feels that is how we would actually do it in the real world.
    I have the CentOS VMs running with Apache running. I can see the test page with Firefox at address 127.0.0.1 my question is what do I do from here. I think I am supposed transfer the zencart to my choice of directory so I did. It is under /www/zencart/ then the rest of the files were transferred by filezilla. I have all the files and folders at 777 from zencart down. I tried to change the files according to the instructions but I think I lost something in translation from the ones that understand to my limited understanding.
    file: /catalog/includes/dist-configure.php (renamed)
    Rename this file to configure.php and change the permissions to 777 (read-write-execute for all)
    Next, on the server locate the file: /catalog/admin/includes/dist-configure.php (renamed)
    Rename this file to configure.php and change the permissions to 777 (read-write-execute for all)
    I put 127.0.0.1 in the location it asked for an address (I think it is the right thing to do) then I changed the name of the file like instructed and then input the address into firefox 127.0.0.1/www/zencart/zc_install/includes/configure.php
    This is where I get the error please point me in the correct direction.
    Thanks
    Steve

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Confused student

Try
    127.0.0.1/www/zencart/zc_install/

Plugin Contributions

How do I get started with Zen Cart?

When you configured Apache, did you change the ServerRoot? Default in CentOS is to use "/var/www/" as the ServerRoot... So if you placed the Zen Cart files in "/var/www/"... Then you would access the files relative to "http://localhost/"... So the Zen Cart installer would be at "http://localhost/zc_install". If you placed the files at "/var/www/zencart", the installer would be at "http://localhost/zencart/zc_install".

If you are using a different ServerRoot in CentOS, you may need to also revisit any selinux or suPHP configuration.
    Last edited by lhungil; 12 Mar 2014 at 06:49 PM.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

No go on 127.0.0.1/www/zencart/zc_install/
    Thankyou I will be rereading the getting started with zencart

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the help I unfortunately I am still stuck. I did move the zencart folder to /var/www/zencart Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zen tree.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	13882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree 2.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	13883 This is what I see when I go to the files I renamed from dist-configure.php in both admin/includes and zencart/includes. What I think I need to change is in yellow I think I should change it to 127.0.0.1 in all the lines. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	configure.php admin.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	13884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	configure.php.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	13885 I did read how to get started with zencart but it is muddled to me. Should I get rid of everything in those config files and just tell it where the local hose is?
    Thanks
    Steve

Plugin Contributions

Did you read lhungil's post?
    If you placed the files at "/var/www/zencart", the installer would be at "http://localhost/zencart/zc_install".
    The web address is what you will use (appropriate parts) for "DIR_WS_whatever" defines; the /var/etc. is for the "DIR_FS_whatever" (file system) defines. These will all be set automatically by entering the info requested in zc_install.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by snccoulter View Post
    Thanks for the help I unfortunately I am still stuck. I did move the zencart folder to /var/www/zencart Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zen tree.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	13882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree 2.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	13883 This is what I see when I go to the files I renamed from dist-configure.php in both admin/includes and zencart/includes. What I think I need to change is in yellow I think I should change it to 127.0.0.1 in all the lines. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	configure.php admin.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	13884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	configure.php.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	13885 I did read how to get started with zencart but it is muddled to me. Should I get rid of everything in those config files and just tell it where the local hose is?
    Thanks
    Steve
    If everything is in your zencart subdirectory, you also need to address the ZC "catalog". The instructions inside of the configure.php are relatively descript about this.

Look a few lines below your highlighted area(s), there is a DIR_WS_CATALOG constant. That needs to include the path from the host(s) root to your store. There are additional constants below that that also should be updated in both configure.php files. Now all that said, I would create a generic file of any type and try to access it using localhost/filename (where filename is the name of your file to also include the extension desired). That should be proof that at least your directory with filename matches what the server is expecting.

Also, really will want to revisit the getting started with ZC after you have confirmed that at least your server is setup correctly.
    Last edited by mc12345678; 13 Mar 2014 at 04:54 AM.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Unless your server configuration prohibits it, the configure.php files will be created automatically even if you haven't renamed the dist-configure files. I think those are there so installation can proceed normally for any kind of server setup.

Have you tried going to http://localhost/zencart/zc_install in your browser? Does that bring you to the setup page?
    Last edited by gjh42; 13 Mar 2014 at 04:59 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    Unless your server configuration prohibits it, the configure.php files will be created automatically even if you haven't renamed the dist-configure files. I think those are there so installation can proceed normally for any kind of server setup.
    Also work as a good template to compare against without some type of restoration or reinstallation. :)

Certainly hope that the server setup will allow whatever the confused student desires. Afterall from what seems like the original statement it was setup by the student. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I haven't encountered a situation where zc_install didn't build the configure.php files by itself, but I have only had experience with fresh installation on a few servers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast