Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Two Sign-ins Required to Access ZenCart Admin

mc123456789,

My first expectation (and *still* my strong suspicion) was exactly that, that my webhost (Host Gator) had made some change in the host servers that caused my ZC installations (login protocols, specifically) to suddenly act differently. Here's why: I have two ZC installations, both installed in subdomains. One is over a year old, and has been toodling along all this time. I created my Admin login shortcut when I carried out this first installation, lo those many moons ago. Using this shortcut, my logins always worked glitch-free (save when I really did mistype my username or password).

In January, I carried out a second ZC installation in a separate domain, and since then I've been actively working on this installation, including its various configuration files. As for my first installation, other than managing product maintenance, customer care, and orders, I haven't been making any other changes. As I understand the matter, and as I've seen from practical experience, ZC installations in separate domains have no complementary effects on one another, and they cause no adverse developments one to the other, because they're physically and operationally separate.

*However*, when this situation emerged about two weeks ago, it affected *both* of my installations, not just the second installation upon which I was making copious alterations. I would have immediately concluded that I had done something untoward if this glitch had affected only my second installation, but — as my first installation had been rolling along swimmingly for quite some time, yet it too suffered this glitch at exactly the same time — I assumed that Host Gator had made some server change that I needed to accommodate.

When I contacted the HG tech reps and asked what had changed, they responded: Ummm, nothing we know of. When I pressed a bit, they responded: Ummm, nothing we know of — must be how your code's parsing itself. When I pointed out that my code had been parsing itself just fine until quite recently, and that *some* change must have occurred, they responded: Ummm, nothing we know of.

Here's the thing: I got the glitch remedied, and I gained a Methuselah's lifetime of learning about php and server protocols generally, and the ZC program specifically, but I *still* don't know what caused the situation in the first place. To me, it's like solving a very difficult Sudoku through a lucky guess: You solved it, but not through rational enquiry. Most unsatisfying.

Anyway, thanks for the attention, and cheers,

Ken Baker
    Last edited by KenBaker; 22 Mar 2014 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Typo.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by KenBaker View Post
    mc123456789,

My first expectation (and *still* my strong suspicion) was exactly that, that my webhost (Host Gator) had made some change in the host servers that caused my ZC installations (login protocols, specifically) to suddenly act differently. Here's why: I have two ZC installations, both installed in subdomains. One is over a year old, and has been toodling along all this time. I created my Admin login shortcut when I carried out this first installation, lo those many moons ago. Using this shortcut, my logins always worked glitch-free (save when I really did mistype my username or password).

In January, I carried out a second ZC installation in a separate domain, and since then I've been actively working on this installation, including its various configuration files. As for my first installation, other than managing product maintenance, customer care, and orders, I haven't been making any other changes. As I understand the matter, and as I've seen from practical experience, ZC installations in separate domains have no complementary effects on one another, and they cause no adverse developments one to the other, because they're physically and operationally separate.

*However*, when this situation emerged about two weeks ago, it affected *both* of my installations, not just the second installation upon which I was making copious alterations. I would have immediately concluded that I had done something untoward if this glitch had affected only my second installation, but — as my first installation had been rolling along swimmingly for quite some time, yet it too suffered this glitch at exactly the same time — I assumed that Host Gator had made some server change that I needed to accommodate.

When I contacted the HG tech reps and asked what had changed, they responded: Ummm, nothing we know of. When I pressed a bit, they responded: Ummm, nothing we know of — must be how your code's parsing itself. When I pointed out that my code had been parsing itself just fine until quite recently, and that *some* change must have occurred, they responded: Ummm, nothing we know of.

Here's the thing: I got the glitch remedied, and I gained a Methuselah's lifetime of learning about php and server protocols generally, and the ZC program specifically, but I *still* don't know what caused the situation in the first place. To me, it's like solving a very difficult Sudoku through a lucky guess: You solved it, but not through rational enquiry. Most unsatisfying.

Anyway, thanks for the attention, and cheers,

Ken Baker
    So, while a search of the forum regarding HG is likely to turn up some unfavourable comments, the above actually was some enjoyable reading. :) if nothing else can respect the dissatisfaction of fixing the problem. How contradictive is that?

Not sure what part of the world you are in, but regardless at least the current problem is fixed, right?
    Last edited by mc12345678; 22 Mar 2014 at 05:19 AM. Reason: reception dropped some typed chars
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Not sure what part of the world you are in, but regardless at least the current problem is fixed, right?
    mc12345678,

Fixed, fine, and flying right along. Now I'm going to bed before the gremlins come in force to exact revenge.

Ken Baker

Plugin Contributions

mc12345678,

Fixed, fine, and flying right along. Now I'm going to bed before the gremlins come in force to exact revenge.

Ken Baker
    Duck and cover always works, right? :)

Relax and carry a towel. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

lat9,

I've resolved this problem finally, but not to my satisfaction, and not in a way that will likely have any value to you. Here's the situation in synopsis:

• From the time that I first installed ZC, I've had my Admin protected through my secure server.
    • When logging into my Admin panel, I've been using this address: [domain]/catalog/suspense/login.php. That worked fine up until about two weeks ago.
    • *For some reason* (me, I suppose, though I don't know what I could have done), my login protocol began to go through this process:

1. Begin login through [regular server]/catalog/suspense/login.php; assign zenAdminID.
    2. While loading index.php, realize: Oops, we should be doing this login through the secure server.
    3. Cycle back to the login screen, but this go-round through [secure server]/catalog/suspense/login.php; assign new zenAdminId; open Admin panel.

Bottom line, I just changed my shortcuts to start the login process directly through my secure server from the get-go, hence I'm not forced to go through the login process twice. So, I know *rationally* that I must have done something to bring about this glitch, which only began about two weeks, but *irrationally* I'm suiting up to go gremlin hunting. I keep a detailed log of every last little tiny itsy bitsy change that I make anywhere in my ZC files, and I can't in the least find anything that I've done that could have caused this glitch. I would like nothing better than to toss a couple nice thick gremlin steaks on the grill this evening, but it's likely not going to happen.

At any rate, your thoughts on the doubled cookies set me on the right track to the answer. Thanks for the help.

Ken Baker
    Hmm, interesting. While I've no clue as to the server-related changes that Host Gator made to effect the change in behavior, I can understand the process and it gives me additional food for thought. Thanks for reporting back with your findings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12