Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default From a subdomain to domain, transfer to root

Hello all !!!
    I know when changing domains etc. I have to change the info in includes/configure.php and "admin"/includes/configure.php my question is pretty basic, but just wanting to make sure I have it right on HOW to do it before I proceed.
    Here is the situation (briefly):
    I have a zen cart installed in a subfolder in my root domain. I switched my online store to another type of storefront about a year ago because I got a really good deal. Long story short, it's just not worth it...especially since I will have to pay $50.00 a month to maintain it. No thank you!
    It doesn't have enough features to make me stay, Zen Cart is just fine for me. I still had another year on my Zen Cart hosting, so I kept it up and just disabled the purchase option. That way I could still transfer prices, get access to my old records etc. Anyways....I'm going back to Zen Cart :) So therefore I still have a fully functioning store in Zen Cart, it's just in a subfolder and I want to transfer it to the root folder. I will be cancelling the other storefront that is not Zen Cart and going back to Zen. (It is all on the same server)

My question is: My Zen Cart is currently in a subfolder, we will call it "workzen" and I want to transfer it to my root folder that way I can just use my regular domain name instead of using the subfolder, ie... mydomain/workzen.com just want to keep it to "mydomain.com"
    I understand that having the files in the root folder of my domain will do this correct?
    Do I just copy the contents of this folder into my root folder? Is it just that simple (plus changing the configure files of course)?
    Or is there something else I will have to do?

Thank you so very much for your time!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: From a subdomain to domain, transfer to root

Plugin Contributions

It might also be a good idea to keep that working subdirectory with a copy of the database from your Live Site to do testing/upgrades etc.

You could then make a password on that directory to block it from everyone except you and/or your staff from accessing it ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Wouldn't they want to do some type of redirect to the new root directory as well with a slight rename of the directory so as to be able to continue using it as suggested above? (Sure, products have not been purchaseable, but may still be listed somewhere that when accessed in the future would be told where to go to find the new page.)
    Last edited by mc12345678; 28 Mar 2014 at 05:09 AM. Reason: pesky parentheses
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thank you all so much for your fast responses!
    I appreciate all your advice and now I can proceed confidently !!!
    Thanks again!!!!

Plugin Contributions

Oh man, I need some serious help here....
    At first everything went perfectly until I tried to switch the primary domain names around on my hosting account.
    was at: subdomain.mysite.com
    copied all the files into the root folder named : html
    added a secondary domain name (the main one I planned on using): mysite.com
    and you could access both the store and admin from either web address. great.
    THEN I got greedy and wanted to change mysite.com to the PRIMARY domain on the hosting with subdomain.mysite.com as the secondary
    ummm...nope....
    I can still access the subdomain.mysite.com both the store and the admin, but NOT the mysite.com
    I changed the admin/includes/config and the include/config files for the mysite.com
    to relate to the new primary domain name.
    Did this: and replaced "/subdomain/" with "/"
    DIR_WS_CATALOG
    and
    DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG

From /your_sub_domain/
    To /
    Nothing on the mysite.com shows up, all I get is :This website is temporarily unavailable, please try again later. when I try to access the store or the admin.

Now.... that being said..... the only thing I didn't change is Admin/Config/Sessions as I don't know what it's supposed to read.
    My root folder is simply:
    html
    the Sessions says:
    D:HostingNUMBERShtmlstore/cache .......is the htmlstore/cache wrong? I can only do this from subdomain.mysite.com as I can not access the mysite.com admin....I edited the actual numbers for here as I wasn't sure if they were private.
    The only other thing I can think of is the mysite.com does have a subdomain that points to it....but I don't know how that would matter....

PLEASE Help...I'm so lost, I can post copies of config files etc. just let me know what you need to see....so lost
    Last edited by EC web; 23 Apr 2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: addition

Plugin Contributions

One more thing...
    there is :

index.html

and

index.php

in my root folder. should I delete the index.html ??? Would this fix this problem?

Plugin Contributions

WHOA....
    Don't know if it just took some time after last alterations, but it looks like it is working now! ???????? I didn't change anything since my last post either.
    hope it stays this way, lolol (not really funny)
    look see...
    www.earthscauldron.com the browser is even showing it correctly when you go there.....well when you type in in directly it's correct "earthscauldron.com" instead of subdomain.earthscauldron.com which the link you click on will show.....???

Let me know if you click on it and there is anything wrong from your computer if you wouldn't mind, if it's all good, then I'm not messing with it anymore!
    Thanks so much in advance...
    maybe patience is a virtue as they say
    Last edited by EC web; 23 Apr 2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: im a dork

Plugin Contributions

Also, if anyone is going through this and these fixes worked for you, it might be a good idea to keep that old folder for testing purposes etc. but change the permissions so that it is not web visable/read/write/execute etc.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by EC web View Post
    WHOA....
    Don't know if it just took some time after last alterations, but it looks like it is working now! ???????? I didn't change anything since my last post either.
    hope it stays this way, lolol (not really funny)
    look see...
    www.earthscauldron.com the browser is even showing it correctly when you go there.....well when you type in in directly it's correct "earthscauldron.com" instead of subdomain.earthscauldron.com which the link you click on will show.....???

Let me know if you click on it and there is anything wrong from your computer if you wouldn't mind, if it's all good, then I'm not messing with it anymore!
    Thanks so much in advance...
    maybe patience is a virtue as they say
    Was going to comment on the difference, above posted with www but the site changes to other pages without the www (setup in the configure.php files).
    Otherwise, yes typically when dealing with changes like you have done, either waiting or faster clearing the cache/cookies will help things along. Looks like plenty of time was given for that to happen "naturally". Fyi, sometimes using an alternate browser or asking someone else to test (hence the suggestion to give the web address when posting) will also help clear up things like that. (Person 1: it's like this!, person 2: not on my screen :) )
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast