Plugin Contributions

Default Show PayPal Long Error Message

Currently if the user runs into a problem checking out with paypal, the zencart system shows the Paypal Error code and the Short Message, but not the long message. Is it possible to show the long message to the customer as well?

The reason I ask is that I lose several orders to "Gateway Decline This transaction cannot be processed" messages. The customer tries again but they aren't sure what to adjust. The Long message contains more useful information like where the issue is or what bank (paypal or customer bank) is denying the charge. There are about a dozen generic Gateway Decline error messages in the paypal API system: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/cl...pi/errorcodes/

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Show PayPal Long Error Message

Quote Originally Posted by nightdesigns View Post
    Currently if the user runs into a problem checking out with paypal, the zencart system shows the Paypal Error code and the Short Message, but not the long message. Is it possible to show the long message to the customer as well?

The reason I ask is that I lose several orders to "Gateway Decline This transaction cannot be processed" messages. The customer tries again but they aren't sure what to adjust. The Long message contains more useful information like where the issue is or what bank (paypal or customer bank) is denying the charge. There are about a dozen generic Gateway Decline error messages in the paypal API system: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/cl...pi/errorcodes/

Thanks.
    Not to be overly facetious, possible? Yes. I thought though that the intent of the short message was not to divulge information that could reveal information about the workings of the site. I would think that either in the modules->payment area or would have to code the applicable paypal files to issue the long code instead of the short code. Still would suggest tempering what error data is presented if going to reveal things like the wrong bank account was used. (Ie, what would you want someone that isn't supposed to be trying that bank information to know? How many guesses until they get the right bank account?)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Show PayPal Long Error Message

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Not to be overly facetious, possible? Yes. I thought though that the intent of the short message was not to divulge information that could reveal information about the workings of the site. I would think that either in the modules->payment area or would have to code the applicable paypal files to issue the long code instead of the short code. Still would suggest tempering what error data is presented if going to reveal things like the wrong bank account was used. (Ie, what would you want someone that isn't supposed to be trying that bank information to know? How many guesses until they get the right bank account?)
    Hi,

I doubt there is anything you can truly reveal about the inner workings of your website by informing the customer that 15005 means that their credit card was rejected (due to insufficient funds or overly sensitive fraud protection by their cc's issuing bank).

You run the risk of having your website being used by dubious individuals testing stolen credit card numbers for ones that actually work, but at the same time, there is already credit card slamming protection built into zen-cart. It logs that individual out of the system after 6 attempts and emails the admin the account details of the person possibly attempting to credit card slam your site.

I just don't agree it's generally productive to your cause as a business attempting to maximize user conversions (into actual transactions) to give some ambiguous information about how their payment was rejected. A customer cannot understand what a generic paypal error code means. They most likely would be alarmed by that kind of error and might even think your site is malfunctioning, and be concerned about proceeding with attempting to process the order.

Again, on the flipside, you might need to consider that dubious people might attempt credit card slamming, but like I explained, there is credit card slamming protection built in. And to further mitigate the issue, you might even include a message in the stack to say something like "Your credit card was declined by your financial institution. As a precaution your IP has been recorded." That's enough to spook dubious people.

http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...cessing-Errors

There's the link explaining how to adjust the error message stacks to your own requirements.