Plugin Contributions

Default I'm changing the admin menu. How can I add a pulldown of categories?

Hello!

I'm building a zen cart site and wondering if there's a contribution or some easy way to make this happen. I'm trying to simplify the Admin section, and want to make it so that you can select an already existing Category to put the product into from the new product page (that way the admin doesn't need to browse over to the category in order to submit the new product).

It's a huge pain to have to go through several pages when it could easily be done using a dropdown menu, and this would save me a lot of time in having to teach the admin how to use it.

For the sake of clarity, what I'm doing is adding links that go directly to the main areas that the admin will need to use, such as "Add new product", "Add new category", "Add new manufacturer", "Customer listing", etc. so that they admin doesn't need to go through all of Zendesk's menus.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, contributions that already handle this, etc.?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I'm changing the admin menu. How can I add a pulldown of categories?

Quote Originally Posted by filmgirl View Post
    Hello!

I'm building a zen cart site and wondering if there's a contribution or some easy way to make this happen. I'm trying to simplify the Admin section, and want to make it so that you can select an already existing Category to put the product into from the new product page (that way the admin doesn't need to browse over to the category in order to submit the new product).

It's a huge pain to have to go through several pages when it could easily be done using a dropdown menu, and this would save me a lot of time in having to teach the admin how to use it.

For the sake of clarity, what I'm doing is adding links that go directly to the main areas that the admin will need to use, such as "Add new product", "Add new category", "Add new manufacturer", "Customer listing", etc. so that they admin doesn't need to go through all of Zendesk's menus.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, contributions that already handle this, etc.?
    I don't know of any specific plugins designed to do this. I will say there are possibly a few hurdles to overcome related to the few add "this" options described. On the add category or product part(s), would need to identify if a new category (from the root) or if a category off of an existing category. For products, well once you have categories, a new product must go into an existing category (leaf end of the tree) otherwise things canget weird on the site. So, would need to add some interface page to do that in.

Regarding adding options to the menu bar of the admin page, if this is still something yet to figure out, then there are several FAQs on the issue; however, I am on a mobile device which makes it difficult to search and type. Basically you would add an option that would forward the admin to the "code" of choice. That may include get statements (if they apply to the function) as part of the redirect. It may be as simple as a few SQL statements or require a few additional files (or of course maybe both) to make it happen. Any plugin that is compatible with 1.5.x that adds an option to the admin panel has the necessary code to make it happen.

The current categories/products page has a pull down menu for all of the categories existing in the upper right hand corner, so that code could be used to generate a similar option on whatever categories page you create. Also on that page is a drop down to select product types.

Okay, now that I have said all that, I would recommend that the admin user learn how to use ZC fully and properly ratherthan adding all these options, though it may also be a beneficial addon. Reason is that it would need to bemaintained up-to-date with future advances of ZC, not to mention that 1.6.0 is being modified to provide more modular admin options. Whatever the case, hope that helps a little.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...