Plugin Contributions

Default Problem with passwords after converting customers from OSCommerce

Quote Originally Posted by Design75 View Post
    The conversion script can be found here
    Hi

I ran the script for customer conversion and all the data came across successfully. The problem I have though is that it has copied over the customer passwords as encrypted by OSC but ZenCart does not recognise the encryption. My own account on OSC has a totally different encrypted password to that of a test customer using the same password.

Does anyone know where the passwords are encrypted and if it it is possible to change the encryption process to match that of OSC?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Looking to migrate to ZenCart

Quote Originally Posted by DigiBooks View Post
    Hi

I ran the script for customer conversion and all the data came across successfully. The problem I have though is that it has copied over the customer passwords as encrypted by OSC but ZenCart does not recognise the encryption. My own account on OSC has a totally different encrypted password to that of a test customer using the same password.

Does anyone know where the passwords are encrypted and if it it is possible to change the encryption process to match that of OSC?

Thanks
    My understanding is that the encryption is a one way process. (At least in ZC it isconsidered as such.) Don't know if the option available is to in essence reset everyone's password on this new location. Might be able to do things automatically for all customer's either through a plugin or some other auto command. (Would want something that calls the customer reset password option for all customer's "at once".) That way they would all receive their uniquely generated password rather than all customers having the same password. Also, when they try to login they may have to choose the forgot password option to have one sent to them that is autogenerated.

As part of the process, depending on method employed, may post something like in efforts to provide a better customer interface, the passwords for all users beginning on (provide date) must be recreated. We are sorry for the inconvenience but we hope you will enjoy the new website.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Looking to migrate to ZenCart

Thanks.

I was beginning to consider that route .. not too much of a hassle really but of course I was hoping it would be a little simper Still can't everything can we lol

Plugin Contributions

Default Problem with passwords after converting customers from OSCommerce

Hi

I am taking steps to move from OSCommerce to ZenCart because the system is far better and support is much better!

I have used the OSCommerce Import Data addon and transferred over the customers to a Testbed site. The only problem I have had is that ZenCart does not recognise the passwords transferred for the customers. I guess that this is because ZenCart uses a different encryption method to OSCommerce.

Please can anyone advise if there is a way to change the encrypted passwords so ZenCart can read them or will I just have to use the obvious route of getting customers to use the forgotten password method to reset?

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problem with passwords after converting customers from OSCommerce

What version of OScommerce?

I would have expected them to "just work", at least for OSC 2.2.

But, yes, the forgotten-password approach will work fine too.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    What version of OScommerce?

I would have expected them to "just work", at least for OSC 2.2.

But, yes, the forgotten-password approach will work fine too.
    Hi DrByte

I am converting from OSC v2.3.3.4 . so if 2.2 should have worked then I guess this should also but it seems all the encrypted passwords on OSC start with "PS" whereas a new password signup on ZC is totally different.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

To accommodate that, you'd need to write custom code into the Zen Cart password-verification logic to mimic what the old OSC code did for passwords, and find a way for it to auto-detect which format it needs to understand. That means copying parts of their old code into your new site's code, and testing and massaging as needed.

ZC v1.5.3 will modernize the ZC password logic and even re-save the modernized password in a newly-hashed more secure form. But to accommodate your old osc passwords you'd still have to incorporate detection for those old ones too.

Of course, the forgotten-password will suffice in all cases too.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    To accommodate that, you'd need to write custom code into the Zen Cart password-verification logic to mimic what the old OSC code did for passwords, and find a way for it to auto-detect which format it needs to understand. That means copying parts of their old code into your new site's code, and testing and massaging as needed.

ZC v1.5.3 will modernize the ZC password logic and even re-save the modernized password in a newly-hashed more secure form. But to accommodate your old osc passwords you'd still have to incorporate detection for those old ones too.

Of course, the forgotten-password will suffice in all cases too.
    It just came to me whilst I was walking the dog over the country park this morning!!!! As part of OSC v2.3.3.4 there was a new 'security update' which changed the format the database tables use! This will explain why the passwords now all start with PS.

I don't think our membership will mind using the forgot password feature plus I will also be installing the Admin Can Change User Password plugin here if anyone gets stick :)