Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default local XP system for testing, HOW, what do I need?

I've read I need Wamp, downloading Wampserver 2.2 now from SourceForge, is that the correct one?
    I need 32bit for this XP Home version.

I also read something before about needing something from MS before I can install the Wamp.
    That was where I had a problem last time, MS would not start the download when I tried to get the file/s from them.
    I think it was something like Redistributable C++ run-time files? Now I don't see where it saw that I need those?
    Do I need that or something else still?

Trying to follow the WIKI and a Tutorial but getting stuck in the Web. LOL

I want to run Zencart 1.5.1 local, and add ons also. For now Easy Populate 4.0.22 , and Image Handler so I can try it but not sure what the Ver. is.

The PC is Win XP Home with 4gigs ram.

I downloaded Notepad++ now also as I saw it is recommended over MS version.

I have started bookmarking things now when I find them (should have done that sooner)
    My Store
    ZenCart 1.5.1 Easy Populate 4.0.22 OpenOffice 4.0.1

Default Re: Zencart on a local XP system for testing, HOW, what do I need?

Also, while I am here, any advice on the best way to install my test site on the local PC in case I want to move it online later?
    I am thinking just C:/zencart
    Would that later cause me to have allot of files to rename if moved, would it be better to put it in a folder with the actual store name I will be using? Does it mater?
    I might as well do it right the first time LOL
    Also if I create files local and upload them to the store, does it matter the folder the store is in on local PC.
    My Store

Plugin Contributions

Some ideas here:

http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...g_a_Local_Copy

I've never installed Zencart locally, but I assume these instructions are correct.

I've been reading that one.
    Their link to Wamp is broken. Gives me an error page every time, but I found Wamp site going through Google and it worked.
    My Store

Installed Wamp and not working, got a error first time

MSVCR.dll not found, reinstalling may fix this problem,

so installed again and it pretended to install but the Icon it put on desktop does nothing but a hours glass for a second and goes away.

Edit:
    Maybe it did work second time, I just found it hide in the tray!
    Last edited by Bikerstuff; 6 May 2014 at 04:39 PM.
    My Store

In case anyone else has a problem with Wamp and finds this thread later. I'm running XP Home SP 3 on this system.

The MSVCR.dll was not found during Wamp install, and installing the second time DID NOT fix it for me like the popup said it might.
    It did put hte icon in the tray, but nothing worked, the Wamp icon was red.

I found that MSVCR.dll was something I had to download from MS as part of C++ redistribute package and I did that. I thought I had read that before but could not remember for sure what I needed or where I read it to read again.
    After installing the MS file I downloaded Wamp still did not work, so I rebooted, also eneded up installing Wamp again but not sure if needed or not.

Still not working I left clicked the icon to open it, went to Apache, service, test port 80 and that showed port 80 not in use.
    Then Apache, service, install service
    Then start all services under the Quick Adim after left clicking the Wamp Icon again.

The icon is now green instead of red, and I can find local host NOW.
    phpMyAdmin is has now loaded a page so I can do the next step which is setup a database.

Wiki says
    Install the server package per the supplier's instructions (it will probably be quite simple.)
    No instructions found yet, and could be something not so simple but not too hard to figure out though.
    My Store

When we don't know anything at all about how things work sometimes the least little things can be confusing.

Wamp makes a WWW sub folder, and in order for Zencart to be found by the browser using Localhost/ the Zencart folder must be in the C:/wamp/WWW folder!

I thought the Wamp stuff installed and ran like a service and the Zencart could be anywhere on C:/ but that was WRONG.
    Well, since last post I have now moved folders around and FINALLY got the Browser to find the zc_install folder to start the install.

path on hard drive is C:/wamp/www/zencart/zc_install and shows in Browser as localhost/zencart/

Now that I got that far I will change the name of the store folder from zencart to the name of my store and install.
    My Store

Well, I got my local store working great now, and I broke it already.
    You just can't give some kids a new toy and expect it to last anytime. LOL

I was testing something I was wondering about and deleted all the categories on purpose. I had used Easy Populate to export all the various types of CVS files, or thought I did anyway.
    I imported the CVS files and everything worked great except I have no product images showing now.
    They were in various folders I think instead of just the main Image folder.
    No big deal and it gives me something to figure out.
    My Store

Plugin Contributions

Never used WAMP, but XAMPP has pretty clear straightforward instructions included, or on its website. It also doesn't need anything extra installed, and the first time I used it was on an XP machine, or maybe even on a Win2k machine. It's not surprising that some links would be out of date, it was eight years ago that I first wrote it after finding no help on setting up a local test site. I suppose I should revisit it and make sure it is still correct.

Glad you found the correct way to set up the web address/folder. In XAMPP it would be C/xampp/htdocs/your_zencart_folder/ to get a localhost address. And it makes zero difference what foldername you use now; you will copy the *contents* of that folder to your live server, not the folder itself.
    Last edited by gjh42; 6 May 2014 at 11:15 PM.

Plugin Contributions

I have always used Xampp apart from a recent instance with Wampp...I went back to Xampp. Note that 1.8.3.x branch does not work on XP, use 1.8.2.x

Once you do have it working it I suggest you look into using the virtual hosts function of apache and a redirect in your windows hosts file so you type "www.mydomain.local" for example, instead of "www.mydomain.com" or whatever the real one is.
    and use /local/configure.php settings in the catalog and admin.

Why?
    I found that while aliases (another method) worked, they didn't work locally when using url rewriting, which you may add in the future.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast