Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Update to PHP 5.4

Hi,
    I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right category, but didn't know where to ask.
    I received a message from my web hosting provider informing me they're moving from PHP 5.2 to 5.4.
    They gave me steps to test my site with PHP 5.4, but it was not working, so I re-selected PHP 5.2.
    I am not a programmer, and not sure if I understand how all this is working... but I'm worried if my site will be down or not load properly when their PHP upgrade is completed.
    Is zencart going to use the later versions of PHP?
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Thank you

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Update to PHP 5.4

Quote Originally Posted by GabyWalker View Post
    Hi,
    I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right category, but didn't know where to ask.
    I received a message from my web hosting provider informing me they're moving from PHP 5.2 to 5.4.
    They gave me steps to test my site with PHP 5.4, but it was not working, so I re-selected PHP 5.2.
    I am not a programmer, and not sure if I understand how all this is working... but I'm worried if my site will be down or not load properly when their PHP upgrade is completed.
    Is zencart going to use the later versions of PHP?
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Right or wrong is hard to say. Basically though, yes ZC is being reviewed for the actions needed to keep it functional through the changes in php. There are even several posts addressing actions suggested/necessary to get it to work in php5.4 (it being version 1.5.1 primarily).

Without making the suggested changes, considering the problems that were observed, the store won't work later any better than it does now. First things first though, should follow the suggested posting guidelines, to include things like the contents of the logs folder.

A link that I found potentially/partially related to this issue is: http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...tml_output-php
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

1. If your host is hostgator, follow the instructions they gave you on how to use their cpanel PHP configuration screen to change from "PHP Default version" to "PHP 5.2" specifically until you upgrade to a version of Zen Cart that supports newer PHP versions.

2. Zen Cart v1.5.3 will be released soon and specifically supports PHP 5.3, 5.4, 5.5. The beta of v1.5.2 does also, but isn't official code yet.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much guys.
    Yes, my hosting provider is hostgator, and I followed their steps to test the site with PHP 5.4, but it appeared not compatible, so I came back to PHP 5.2.
    I don't know much about programming. I hope the upgrade won't affect my website much. I'll investigate further. Thank you both for the explanations.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much guys.
    Yes, my hosting provider is hostgator, and I followed their steps to test the site with PHP 5.4, but it appeared not compatible, so I came back to PHP 5.2.
    I don't know much about programming. I hope the upgrade won't affect my website much. I'll investigate further. Thank you both for the explanations.
    I'm also I'm the same situation. I had done the update and got the 500 error so I switched back to,5.2 and my site worked again. I called hostgator the next day and she said zencart wasn't compatible with 5.4 and switched me to 5.3 which worked. She told me to get some plug in or something from zencart. This is all confusing to me. If I stay with 5.3 would that be ok or do I have to go with 5.4 eventually.
    Last edited by Ginger9909; 11 May 2014 at 01:28 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger9909 View Post
    I'm also I'm the same situation. I had done the update and got the 500 error so I switched back to,5.2 and my site worked again. I called hostgator the next day and she said zencart wasn't compatible with 5.4 and switched me to 5.3 which worked. She told me to get some plug in or something from zencart. This is all confusing to me. If I stay with 5.3 would that be ok or do I have to go with 5.4 eventually.
    Hi Ginger9909,
    Same with me, I got that error when I tried 5.4. I didn't contact hostgator yet. I will do so.
    I hope we can get everything sorted.

Plugin Contributions

Hi gabby
    Ok I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I really don't understand any of this. I was upgraded to,5.3 from the woman on the phone but not sure what that means exactly or how long I can get by with that. I had someone make my site for me in February so I know absolutely nothing about programming. If you find out any more info please post back when you talk to someone.
    Last edited by Ginger9909; 11 May 2014 at 07:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much guys.
    Hi Ginger9909,
    Same with me, I got that error when I tried 5.4. I didn't contact hostgator yet. I will do so.
    I hope we can get everything sorted.
    Hi gabby
    Ok I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I really don't understand any of this. I was upgraded to,5.3 from the woman on the phone but not sure what that means exactly or how long I can get by with that. I had someone make my site for me in February so I know absolutely nothing about programming. If you find out any more info please post back when you talk to someone.
    As I said above, simply set your PHP configuration to use PHP 5.2 for now.
    You can leave it at that until you upgrade your ZC site to v1.5.3 or newer which is compatible with PHP 5.3, 5.4, 5.5.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    As I said above, simply set your PHP configuration to use PHP 5.2 for now.
    Specific instructions for Hostgator Apache server customers: go to your server's Control Panel, scroll down to the advanced section, click on the PHP Configuration icon. Then select your directory where Zen Cart is installed, and then use the dropdown to select PHP 5.2. Leave it that way until you can upgrade ZenCart to 1.5.3.