Plugin Contributions

help question Blank page when I try to install any add

My server uses a MySQL database and when I go to set up Zen Cart 1.5.1 the only options for the type of database to be used is UTF-8 and Latin1. I have been choosing UTF-8 and it installs fine, however when I try to install any add on I either get a blank white page for my store or my admin login page.

I am wondering two things.

First, if my database is MySQL but that is not an option what should I be selecting?

Secondly, could using the wrong database type during set up be causing this problem with add ons?

I have had to delete my install 3 times already and try re-installing it and I am going crazy.

Why is there no MySQL option, I use to use 1.3.8 and never had any problems installing some of the same add ons that am I am trying to use now (they say they are compatible with 1.5.1)

Any help would be grateful. I need to get my new site up and running ASAP as I don't have any site now.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: No MySQL database type option in database setup

First things first. If you get a blank screen or error, check your error logs they may be worth posting here to get some help. As far as the database type etc. Are you importing your old data or are you planning on starting from scratch with everything? For the most part adding the add-ons should be a final action after getting all of your core products and customers imported. There are a few links in the FAQ about how to perform an upgrade.

Beyond that, if the plugins are causing issues, either there is more help in each plugins forum to overcome the particular issue to resolve or the instructions were not followed specifically are the two most likely issues. If you have been able to get the "internals" of. your store back, then anything additional is going to be icing on the cake.

Let me know if I can help further.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: No MySQL database type option in database setup

You made backups of your site before attempting to install 1.5.1 in place of it didn't you? Did the site just stop working, were you in the middle of an upgrade and things stopped? Basically trying to figure out why it is that your previously active site no longer exists when the upgrade instructions offer one or more ways to keep your site operational while upgrading.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...