Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Which config file has info in it?

Thank you for jumping in here Dr. Byte, perhaps you are the only one who can help me figure this conumdrum out (oh Sensei).

My site is a fresh install of an old website built in 1.38a that worked beautifully for years until the php upgrade on my server (bad server: went from wonderful French Canadians to the Ukraine and lost the incredibly customer service in the process). That ruined my business and the the Paypal stuff and well oh my oy vey and all that. Meanwhile I realized that the mismash of my old site could have been fixed with a good company but saw the writing on the wall and created a brand new site with 1.51 on a different server and added in products one by one. (Yes, yes, yes the hard way but this former Mac veteran girl has been struggling learning the workings of a PC without proper educational resources on hand, but that's changing with Lynda.com.)

On this new 1.51 version of my site, on the right server with the correct php in place I brought it back to beauty and near functionality when I thought to experiment with responsive design. I added the template Dover (lovely look) flipped the switch to see and then all hell broke loose. I lost my connection to my database and spent a week or 3 trying to get it back. It's almost there but now I've losing confidence in the security of the whole thing.

Where I am at now is stuck. I seem to have access to only half of my database as I can only go a certain level down into specific categories and then nothing.

The site is www.smockingbooks.com/bookstore

If you could point me in the right direction to understand the way the command paths are controlled I might be able to see how this cart works.

Also are there any php code valdiator programs you would recommend?

Beth, a grateful follower of your wisdom

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by motherwestwind View Post
    I changed it but it didn't help but thanks it got me to look once again at the files to determine the differences and I found that through everything back and forth yadiyadiyada that the pathway of the admin config was different than the store config so joyously I changed it but that didn't fix the problem. However I am becoming more familiar with the files so I guess this is the whole purpose of errors.

Beth
    When you said the pathways were different and you made a change, could you elaborate? Two things come to mind withe that statement. One is that you changed the way paths are auto-created based on the location of the configure.php file. The other is that the file paths that are hard coded did not in agreement with the same listing(s) in the store's configure.php.

As for php validation and other such programs. I know Dr. Byte has posted some macintosh applicable programs. I personally use netbeans on a pc which will catch things like a missing semi-colon, unmatched quotes, incomplete tags (if not hidden in echo like statements), etc... There are other programs out there. Netbeans is free which is one reason I use it and it covers more than just php.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    When you said the pathways were different and you made a change, could you elaborate? Two things come to mind withe that statement. One is that you changed the way paths are auto-created based on the location of the configure.php file. The other is that the file paths that are hard coded did not in agreement with the same listing(s) in the store's configure.php.
    Not sure what you mean by hard coded. Each config file was pointing to a different user and password, that's what I changed unless they are meant to be different. After the change to make them identical I checked and still no connection to the 2nd layer of categories.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I'm not sure what you meant by "2nd level" stuff. But, when I navigate Appliques to Ellen to Fall/Halloween I get a partial blank page. That means PHP is encountering an error, and you need to look at the /logs/myDebug-xxxxxxxx.log files to see what the actual recorded errors are.

(PHP errors are not displayed to the screen, because hackers abuse that information to gain unauthorized information about your site.)

Also, the same blank page problem happens when visiting index.php?main_page=products_new

More on the blank page thing: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Ok understood about the hackers but still us novice php coders need some assistance.

I found this error

[06-Jul-2014 16:20:07] PHP Fatal error: Class 'splitPageResults' not found in /home2/nickhyde/public_html/bookstore/includes/modules/bristol_lace/product_listing.php on line 30

splitpageresults is NOT part of Bristol Lace package but rather it's part of the Dover Template I have been trying to purge out of my coding. I know that the designer keeps saying nit's something I did but I didn't TOUCH any page other than the configure files.

How do i get rid of this call for split page results?

Plugin Contributions

Ok I see the warning about ftp programs. I have been using Firefox's fireftp to upload but it could be there's a problem with the browser as Paypal has trouble signing in with it. I've downloaded filezilla and will heed the warning about the passwords.

Plugin Contributions

Ok understood about the hackers but still us novice php coders need some assistance.

I found this error

[06-Jul-2014 16:20:07] PHP Fatal error: Class 'splitPageResults' not found in /home2/nickhyde/public_html/bookstore/includes/modules/bristol_lace/product_listing.php on line 30

splitpageresults is NOT part of Bristol Lace package but rather it's part of the Dover Template I have been trying to purge out of my coding. I know that the designer keeps saying nit's something I did but I didn't TOUCH any page other than the configure files.

How do i get rid of this call for split page results?
    May I suggest you try to do one thing at a time.

If you are trying to remove a template, just because it had a file associated with it, does not mean that the file needs to be removed, nor does it mean it should stay. Sometimes a file that was already part of the core gets modified, or perhaps the file was needed for something else.

It also sounds like since you had two different databases being referenced (one from the store side and one from the admin side) that there could be errors in categories/products that have been updated on one database or the other. As Dr. Byte suggested, you may have to clarify what it is that you are seeing. Please remember we can not see all that you can. This is also why I asked about the change in pathways. The response was completely different than expected and what seemed to be described. Thank you for clarifying that issue.

Again, please try to address one thing at a time, they are often unrelated issues but may have a common starting point. You've identified a change in ftp programs, that may fix a lot of your issues, though that remains to be seen. If you are still in the process of removing a template or other code, then finish that before trying to see what else is not working.

Worst case you could rebuild the files of your cart and continue using your database as is. Also, if you haven't considered it yet, should create a development site where you can make all the changes you want without recourse or lost operations time. Basically it is a copy of all your files and as necessary some data to allow display of desired data.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I tried to install a 2nd cart in a different folder but the site wouldn't let me do it.

Only one database. What needed correcting was the user name and password, that is what I changed to match. Still no fix.

I wrote to the designer of Bristol Lace regarding the error log which shows that the Dover file split page is still functioning even though I deleted EVERY Dover file. I was told to read the readme file to fix the problem. The read me file just stated the following:

<<Remove all files in the template package.

Restore your back ups of the core overwrite files.>>

I took out all of the files but now I'm stuck again. What are the core overwrite files?

Plugin Contributions

I tried to install a 2nd cart in a different folder but the site wouldn't let me do it.

Only one database. What needed correcting was the user name and password, that is what I changed to match. Still no fix.

I wrote to the designer of Bristol Lace regarding the error log which shows that the Dover file split page is still functioning even though I deleted EVERY Dover file. I was told to read the readme file to fix the problem. The read me file just stated the following:

<<Remove all files in the template package.

Restore your back ups of the core overwrite files.>>

I took out all of the files but now I'm stuck again. What are the core overwrite files?
    Lets focus on 1 thing only the split page function that is being called. I know that in picaflors templates she has 2 things that modify the calls to the split page results:

1) In the product_listing.php the call to split page class is modified to work with Columns. So the call in that file is changed from NORMAL zencart files.

2) In the classes/split_page_results.php it is modified to show an extra page navigation to view all and view less.

So to get rid of it completely, check to make sure that you are not running the modified versions of the template. So check those 2 files above to make sure you reverted back to the files BEFORE the template was installed. If you do not have a backup then just use the stock ZC version files, assuming that you had never touched those before.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you all for your assistance, everything is ok now. I wrote to the designer of my template to question certain things and was chastised for not reading the installation and uninstallation instructions for her template. I thought I had caught all the files but the tri-focals aren't working as they should ... now everything is back to normal and I'm changing my name from Sisyphus back to Beth.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234