Plugin Contributions

help question Trying To Get The Meta Tags To work right...

I followed the advice here http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?59 but every time I save the file in notepad the code gets all bunched up, I think the code stays the same other than the tags, but when i change the file on ftp, the website doesn't load at all (blank white). I need a little help? See second code...

Yes, I save it as meta_tags.php (all files).

Original File

PHP Code:
    <?php

/**

* @package languageDefines

* @copyright Copyright 2003-2011 Zen Cart Development Team

* @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce

* @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0

* @version $Id: meta_tags.php 18697 2011-05-04 14:35:20Z wilt $

*/

// page title

define('TITLE''Zen Cart!');

// Site Tagline

define('SITE_TAGLINE''The Art of E-commerce');

// Custom Keywords

define('CUSTOM_KEYWORDS''ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping');

// Home Page Only:

define('HOME_PAGE_META_DESCRIPTION''');

define('HOME_PAGE_META_KEYWORDS''');

// NOTE: If HOME_PAGE_TITLE is left blank (default) then TITLE and SITE_TAGLINE will be used instead.

define('HOME_PAGE_TITLE'''); // usually best left blank

// EZ-Pages meta-tags.  Follow this pattern for all ez-pages for which you desire custom metatags. Replace the # with ezpage id.

// If you wish to use defaults for any of the 3 items for a given page, simply do not define it.

// (ie: the Title tag is best not set, so that site-wide defaults can be used.)

// repeat pattern as necessary

define('META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_EZPAGE_#','');

define('META_TAG_KEYWORDS_EZPAGE_#','');

define('META_TAG_TITLE_EZPAGE_#''');

// Per-Page meta-tags. Follow this pattern for individual pages you wish to override. This is useful mainly for additional pages.

// replace "page_name" with the UPPERCASE name of your main_page= value, such as ABOUT_US or SHIPPINGINFO etc.

// repeat pattern as necessary

define('META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_page_name','');

define('META_TAG_KEYWORDS_page_name','');

define('META_TAG_TITLE_page_name''');

// Review Page can have a lead in:

define('META_TAGS_REVIEW''Reviews: ');

// separators for meta tag definitions

// Define Primary Section Output

define('PRIMARY_SECTION'' : ');

// Define Secondary Section Output

define('SECONDARY_SECTION'' - ');

// Define Tertiary Section Output

define('TERTIARY_SECTION'', ');

// Define divider ... usually just a space or a comma plus a space

define('METATAGS_DIVIDER'' ');

// Define which pages to tell robots/spiders not to index

// This is generally used for account-management pages or typical SSL pages, and usually doesn't need to be touched.

define('ROBOTS_PAGES_TO_SKIP','login,logoff,create_account,account,account_edit,account_history,account_history_info,account_newsletters,account_notifications,account_password,address_book,advanced_search,advanced_search_result,checkout_success,checkout_process,checkout_shipping,checkout_payment,checkout_confirmation,cookie_usage,create_account_success,contact_us,download,download_timeout,customers_authorization,down_for_maintenance,password_forgotten,time_out,unsubscribe,info_shopping_cart,popup_image,popup_image_additional,product_reviews_write,ssl_check,shopping_cart');

// favicon setting

// There is usually NO need to enable this unless you need to specify a path and/or a different filename

//  define('FAVICON','favicon.ico');
    Edited File

PHP Code:
    <?php/** * @package languageDefines * @copyright Copyright 2003-2011 Zen Cart Development Team * @copyright 

Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0 * 

@version $Id: meta_tags.php 18697 2011-05-04 14:35:20Z wilt $ */// page titledefine('TITLE', 'Merchant Name');// 

Site Taglinedefine('SITE_TAGLINE', 'Merchant Products Here');// Custom Keywordsdefine('CUSTOM_KEYWORDS', 'product 

1, product 2, keyword 1, keyword 2');// Home Page Only:  define('HOME_PAGE_META_DESCRIPTION', '');  define

('HOME_PAGE_META_KEYWORDS', '');  // NOTE: If HOME_PAGE_TITLE is left blank (default) then TITLE and SITE_TAGLINE 

will be used instead.  define('HOME_PAGE_TITLE', ''); // usually best left blank// EZ-Pages meta-tags.  Follow this 

pattern for all ez-pages for which you desire custom metatags. Replace the # with ezpage id.// If you wish to use 

defaults for any of the 3 items for a given page, simply do not define it.// (ie: the Title tag is best not set, so 

that site-wide defaults can be used.)// repeat pattern as necessary  define('META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_EZPAGE_#','');  

define('META_TAG_KEYWORDS_EZPAGE_#','');  define('META_TAG_TITLE_EZPAGE_#', '');// Per-Page meta-tags. Follow this 

pattern for individual pages you wish to override. This is useful mainly for additional pages.// replace 

"page_name" with the UPPERCASE name of your main_page= value, such as ABOUT_US or SHIPPINGINFO etc.// repeat 

pattern as necessary  define('META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_page_name','');  define('META_TAG_KEYWORDS_page_name','');  

define('META_TAG_TITLE_page_name', '');// Review Page can have a lead in:  define('META_TAGS_REVIEW', 'Reviews: 

');// separators for meta tag definitions// Define Primary Section Output  define('PRIMARY_SECTION', ' : ');// 

Define Secondary Section Output  define('SECONDARY_SECTION', ' - ');// Define Tertiary Section Output  define

('TERTIARY_SECTION', ', ');// Define divider ... usually just a space or a comma plus a space  define

('METATAGS_DIVIDER', ' ');// Define which pages to tell robots/spiders not to index// This is generally used for 

account-management pages or typical SSL pages, and usually doesn't need to be touched.  define

('ROBOTS_PAGES_TO_SKIP','login,logoff,create_account,account,account_edit,account_history,account_history_info,acco

unt_newsletters,account_notifications,account_password,address_book,advanced_search,advanced_search_result,checkout

_success,checkout_process,checkout_shipping,checkout_payment,checkout_confirmation,cookie_usage,create_account_succ

ess,contact_us,download,download_timeout,customers_authorization,down_for_maintenance,password_forgotten,time_out,u

nsubscribe,info_shopping_cart,popup_image,popup_image_additional,product_reviews_write,ssl_check,shopping_cart');// 

favicon setting// There is usually NO need to enable this unless you need to specify a path and/or a different 

filename//  define('FAVICON','favicon.ico');
    Last edited by yougotitmade; 30 Jun 2014 at 07:01 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Trying To Get The Meta Tags To work right...

I usually just edit the file not make a new one. Use a FTP tool & download the File from your Website at the following path includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php
    Make the changes you want edit using a PHP editor like Dreamweaver or front page save the file & then re upload to includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php
    & you should be good. Hope that helps.

Oh I should add if you have overwritten the original file on your web-server you should get a new file one by downloading the zencart version you have or from a backup before you started editing.
    Last edited by hfxracing; 30 Jun 2014 at 07:15 PM.

Plugin Contributions

I may have a bug or something, because no matter what I do the file will not save correctly. If I give someone the edited meta tags code, could you save it with your editor and send it back? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Plugin Contributions

I can edit it for you I sent you a PM with my e-mail address.
    you should also post a link to your website so I can see what is going on

Plugin Contributions

Looks like the file fixed it now your all set.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by hfxracing View Post
    Looks like the file fixed it now your all set.
    Thanks for all your help hfxracing!