Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Will not install: blank white page

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    I went to a live site. Same host. Different server. Significantly different php-info settings between the 2 servers.

Installation completed as designed.
    It would be good to find out which specific settings are causing the problem for you.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the explanation.

I'll wipe the db on what has just become Sandbox#2 and chalk up yesterday's 1.5.3 attempted install on Sandbox#1 as a lost cause since I didn't learn anything from that drill other than watching a 30 minute ftp several times and hope for different results each time.

Forgive my ignorance but it appears that the db server is set for UTF-8 but creates new db as latin-1. At least that is my interpretation of the settings.
    Attachment 14266
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    It would be good to find out which specific settings are causing the problem for you.
    There are so many differences when comparing the two files that I wouldn't have a clue. Both are shared servers.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but it appears that the db server is set for UTF-8 but creates new db as latin-1. At least that is my interpretation of the settings.
    Attachment 14266
    1. "server connection" refers to the connection established to the database from whatever client is telling you about the connection type. Zen Cart will connect TO and communicate WITH the database using utf8, much like your phpmyadmin is doing in that screenshot.

2. "server charset" refers to the character set that the server knows and uses. It may even use that when creating new "databases".

But neither of those is referring to how your store's database itself is configured:
    3. In phpMyAdmin, click on your specific database, then go to the Operations tab and look at the Collation section, to see/change the collation for that specific database you've selected.
    WARNING: But only change this if your database is empty and you're prepared to delete all the tables in it. Else you'll need to manually go and change all the data in all the tables to be the right charset, and if you do that without knowing what you're doing, you'll lose any data related to utf8-vs-latin1 conflicts (basically any non-english chars will be mangled). There's a utility in the Plugins area here to help convert existing databases if needed.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for taking the time to teach me a bit. This is getting confusing and tells me that I am probably better to leave well enough alone.

phpMyAdmin:: structure tab:: all tables show latin1_swedish_ci Collation
    pmyMyAdmin:: operations tab:: UTF8_general_ci Collation

Yes, DB converter. How well we know about hidden characters in the attribute price prefix field ( +,-, blank)

If you want/need the php-info files from the two servers, you're welcome to them for comparison. They won't do much for me.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Sure, PM me with a link to the php info outputs. Thanks

Plugin Contributions

I also had this issue: Blank page when clicking install.

I was able to fix it by removing the apc and xcache checking code from the zc_install\index.php file.

However, on a different server 1.5.3 installed without any problems.

BTW, no errors where show in apache's error_log, or under zencart's log folder (with 777 permissions).

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by chadderuski View Post
    I also had this issue: Blank page when clicking install.

I was able to fix it by removing the apc and xcache checking code from the zc_install\index.php file.
    ARGH. xcache is such an unfriendly beast! And painfully hard to test reliably ... probably because there's no reliable predictability in how people implement it.
    And we only trigger the cache suppression if the functions exist. But, it's such a mixed bag.

Plugin Contributions

ARGH. xcache is such an unfriendly beast! And painfully hard to test reliably ... probably because there's no reliable predictability in how people implement it.
    And we only trigger the cache suppression if the functions exist. But, it's such a mixed bag.
    Here's a nice wrench for you! While working on this sever it turns out xcache WAS loaded, but not active... ?!?! I don't remember doing that.

What I do remember is banging my head against the wall over the years with apc/xcache and which way to run Apache (cgi/fcgi/dso/etc) and which were compatible and which weren't ... and not even my host's engineers seemed to know what worked properly with what!

So I had them remove it while they rebuilt apache with the latest 5.4 stable release.

Isn't PHP 5.5 supposed to have a built in (APC) opcode cache? I wonder how that will work.

Any known issues with LightSpeed? Not that zencart needs it (like Ma*bloat*gento).

Plugin Contributions

Sure, PM me with a link to the php info outputs. Thanks
    I spent 1/2 day on this too - no error messages or error logs.

Commenting out the xcache line fixed the problem immediately.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast