Plugin Contributions

Default Moving login to before payment page

Hi At the moment, you have to login or register before going through the checkout process. Is it possible to move the login page to after giving the shipping details and before payment is made.

The guy I am working for is in one of these industries where people opt for the lowest price prior to buying. He at least wants to make sure they get the shipping cost added prior to logging in (I should mention at this stage that location is irrelevant).

I look forward to any feedback you may have.

Thanks
    Debbie Harrison
    DVH Design | Web Design blog

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Moving login to before payment page

Quote Originally Posted by dharrison View Post
    Hi At the moment, you have to login or register before going through the checkout process. Is it possible to move the login page to after giving the shipping details and before payment is made.

The guy I am working for is in one of these industries where people opt for the lowest price prior to buying. He at least wants to make sure they get the shipping cost added prior to logging in (I should mention at this stage that location is irrelevant).

I look forward to any feedback you may have.

Thanks
    While this can be done by modifying the checkout pages prior to the payment page, I suggest you take notes of different situations that may arise that could cause issues. Take into consideration on whether your boss MAY change shipping rules in the future.

But to guide you on your choices, does your site offer a flat shipping to all over the world? This is a big part of the solution as the way shopping carts work is that in order to give a shipping costs, it needs the address information to pull the correct quotes. So with no login and no address to the cart cannot compute anything.

One plugin you may want to use is the COWOA plugin as it allows guest checkout. It is basically the same as the create account except no login details have to be provided. While it doesn't shorten the checkout process, it does influence customers to continue checkout without the thought of creating an account.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Yaratai

Thanks for the quick reply. I did have my eye on COWOA - I've only just noticed there was a version for ZC 1.5+ !

I will put it to him and see what comes up.

Many thanks
    Debbie Harrison
    DVH Design | Web Design blog

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yaritai View Post
    While this can be done by modifying the checkout pages prior to the payment page, I suggest you take notes of different situations that may arise that could cause issues. Take into consideration on whether your boss MAY change shipping rules in the future.

But to guide you on your choices, does your site offer a flat shipping to all over the world? This is a big part of the solution as the way shopping carts work is that in order to give a shipping costs, it needs the address information to pull the correct quotes. So with no login and no address to the cart cannot compute anything.

One plugin you may want to use is the COWOA plugin as it allows guest checkout. It is basically the same as the create account except no login details have to be provided. While it doesn't shorten the checkout process, it does influence customers to continue checkout without the thought of creating an account.
    I'm parroting DivaVocals (I don't think she'll mind) when I mention that the only thing that COWOA doesn't require that a normal create_account page does ... is the account password! It does give some customers a piece-of-mind that they don't have an "account", but your store still records all of the address information, the customer name and email address ... how else would you be able to send them their purchase?