Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Importing Data Feed into new cart

Hi. I need to upload a lot of products to my Zen Cart. I do have access to the datafeed provided by the drop ship store. I have never done this before...

I am about to view on YouTube "Watch me install 2,000 products with Easy Populate" or something like that. Is there a drawback to doing it this way. Or is this the best way to populate a store with quite a few items? I know everything has to line up as far as tabs, images, descriptions etc.,

Thanks
    Brenda

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Importing Data Feed into new cart

SQL is essentially a container holding a bunch of spreadsheets. All with columns and rows. The first row being the heading.

Easy Populate can take the data from a spreadsheet with matching headings and transfer the data it finds within the fields below.

If you have installed Easy Populate into your new Zen Cart, check that the data file has the correct formatting, then you can upload the data and it will match the two.

All of your products will be populated in Zen.

If any of the field data is 'dirty' or doesn't meet the defined field requirements of the SQL field it's going to be transferred to, you will have errors or missing data.

If the data has headings that don't match, the data will not be transferred, again errors.
    Twitch.
    https://www.twitchtoo.com Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Base8 - Obsidian - This, is what's new.

Plugin Contributions

Ok... gonna do this. Is there any comprehensive info here on uploading a datafeed to Zen (just in case I need more documentational help).

Thanks
    Brenda

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by msbfrnj View Post
    Ok... gonna do this. Is there any comprehensive info here on uploading a datafeed to Zen (just in case I need more documentational help).

Thanks
    Brenda
    Grab a drink, don't rush, make a note of what you are doing in case you need to back track, take a sip of your drink, move forward and make mistakes as you go :)
    Twitch.

Plugin Contributions

Wow! It's like that huh? LOL! OK... diving in....!

Thanks
    Brenda

Plugin Contributions

Make plenty of backups along the way. And remember, carry a towel and always stay calm.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I am feeling totally overwhelmed....

Ok...so, do I have to fill out just a category field before I upload the whole data file. Also, how do I upload my thumbnails and regular sized pics into the data base. Can't find too much on this.

Thanks
    Brenda
    Brenda

P.S. Done already drank up all my cool drink reading and pondering...

Plugin Contributions

Ok...so, do I have to fill out just a category field before I upload the whole data file. Also, how do I upload my thumbnails and regular sized pics into the data base. Can't find too much on this.

Thanks
    Brenda
    Brenda

Best practice is to make a small test data file with all of the correct headings, one row full of short useable data that conforms to all of the fields you'd like to enter

Images DO NOT belong in the database. They get uploaded via FTP to your public_html/zencart/images folder.

You CAN install Image Handler from the plugins if you'd like an improved image management experience with Zen Cart.

I could refill your glass... you're not here ;)
    Twitch.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks
    Brenda
    Brenda

It's understandable. I always think of plugins like Easy Populate as ZC on steroids, except like described above it handles data stored in the database. Images, at least the pictures seen on the site, are actual files with the reference (data) to them in the database. So, generally speaking ftp or some other image handling program would be needed to transfer the files themselves.

As for adding one or more products, well, kind of depends on which version of the product you are using as each has it's own "base" requirements. It somewhat depends on what it is you. Are trying to fully accomplish. Ie, adding a product, modifying a product, changing something else about the data.

Basically/typically just fill out all of the information that would be filled in when adding a product and then upload the file with that performed for each desired row.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Alright...got it. (I think) :) I was just about to embark on trying to upload a few products, when I realized that I have test data in my fields. I was gonna just delete them one at a time and got a warning about doing that.... Something about linked products and resetting Category I.D.? Does deleting the test categories one at a time get rid of it everywhere in the cart?

Thanks
    Brenda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast