Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Adding additional data to the database during the order process.

Hi Guys,

I am attempting to allow customers to select a preferred retail outlet they would like their goods despatched too choose during checkout.

I have edited the HTML in the checkout process template pages, changed some of the module headers to check data,etc by adding the data to the PHP Session. But I am a little bit confused on the process how zencart inserts the data from the session into the database once a user as confirmed an order.

Can you guys point me in the direction of how I can get the data from the sessionID to the database column that I have created in the orders table.

Hopefully I am being clear enough!

Cheers
    Pearce.
    Last edited by PearceStephens; 28 Sep 2014 at 04:28 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding additional data to the database during the order process.

Quote Originally Posted by PearceStephens View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am attempting to allow customers to select a preferred retail outlet they would like their goods despatched too choose during checkout.

I have edited the HTML in the checkout process template pages, changed some of the module headers to check data,etc by adding the data to the PHP Session. But I am a little bit confused on the process how zencart inserts the data from the session into the database once a user as confirmed an order.

Can you guys point me in the direction of how I can get the data from the sessionID to the database column that I have created in the orders table.

Hopefully I am being clear enough!

Cheers
    Pearce.
    How many different destinations are there? Could anyone be picking something up from more than one location? Are the items to be picked up available at all pickup locations?

If the answer to the second two is no and yes respectively, you could just add an attribute for each item. A Please Select a Pickup Location with a drop-down of locations.

That could be added in a matter of minutes without having to code anything.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

Ideally, this needs to choosen during the checkout process, not on a per product basis. Nothing to complicated about it really, just a drop down menu that a user is forced to select from in order to continue the checkout process. So i just have a simple string to insert into the database column.

Attached : Nothing to complicated, how do I get this value into the database at the same time the rest of the order is processed?

Name:  zen.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  26.1 KB

Plugin Contributions

The shipping methods (and options) shown to customers are provided in Zen Cart as shipping modules. So you are looking at using (or modifying / creating) a Zen Cart shipping module (and altering the name / options) to fit your needs.

It sounds like you want a name of "Store Pickup", with options for "Choose your pickup location", the products are always available from each "Location", and the entire order must be picked up from the same "Location"... If so, I'd probably start with the "Store Pickup" module modified for Multiple Locations (on the forums only - uses radio buttons instead of dropdowns - appears to provide the necessary functionality).

If the radio buttons above work for you, they would probably be the quickest way to be up and running... On a past project, I seem remember adding dropdown options (for shipping) required custom coding (and involving a mixture of "observers" and modifications to "override" some template code)...

Otherwise you are probably looking at custom coding.

NOTE: The project mentioned (adding dropdown options to shipping) was done for Zen Cart 1.5.0. While the project is still up and running on a Zen Cart 1.5.3 store, much has changed in Zen Cart since version 1.5.0 and an alternative method not requiring modification (or overrides) may possibly exist.
    Last edited by lhungil; 29 Sep 2014 at 05:54 PM.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

Thanks alot for this, I was not aware of this modification being available! I will look into it