Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default contact us emails not working at all

Hi all,
    I'm going mad, been struggling too long with this, and have searched but can't find any clues.

Not yet gone live, used a one-click installer but only because I had problems getting a download working from here, database issues ... so used my host's one click gadget. I have had a previous fully working Zen cart so although I'm rusty now I managed the first time round!

Added ice cold template, css horizontal drop down menu and backup add ons.

PHP 5.3.29, mysql 5.5.37

The problem: I can send an email from admin, but when I have tried from the contact us page all I get is a blank screen. I get the contact us page, but then nothing happens. I have tried the email test addon and that sends emails OK so I assume I've also set up my zen cart emails properly.

I'm using PHP transport. I have set up an email address for the store using the site's email address, and try to send to another email address at another site. I've tried different addresses. I have ensured my name is long enough and there is a message to send.
    The blank screen I get when I click on send is white with no coding. The last bit of the url for this blank page is: index.php?main_page=contact_us&action=send&zenid=c8242adb4a78f5aa9a0e67c48af1434 b

It is exactly the same if I swap to the classic template. There is no mention of any email page problems in the error logs, and I have full error reporting on but nothing shows.

I have refreshed all the files I can find that have any relevance to emails .

But a further question here = in modules/pages/contact_us/header_php.php there is this:

$zco_notifier->notify('NOTIFY_CONTACT_US_CAPTCHA_CHECK');

There is no dreaded captcha on the contact us form so wonder if there is a missing bit it's looking for.

I would love some pointers to get the emails going, or failing this has anyone got a map showing which files are used in case I've missed something out.

Thanks,
    Tony
    Last edited by notxn85; 22 Oct 2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typo, cant get used to this German keyboard!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: contact us emails not working at all

There's no telling what is in the one-click version from your host.
    Best bet is to use the hotfix download at http://sourceforge.net/projects/zenc...d?source=files

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I doubt it's a problem with a 1-click install.
    It's not a problem with the notify->captcha line, unless you've installed a captcha module that is actually triggered by that line, in which case it could be the module you've added.

You said it's producing a blank page. The dreaded blank page is always a result of a PHP error (or occasionally a mod_security restriction imposed by the hosting company), and should be documented in the /logs/ folder. See: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the suggestions, however still not working!
    I have checked that the functions file is being called by adding an echo ("hello"); command in various places and this does show up on the previously blank screen.
    I have used new function and template files from a new download from sourceforge.
    The logs show "headers already sent" messages but nothing about any contact us or email issues.
    Looks like I'll start a whole new shop and then add my addons etc one by one, but this does seem drastic and if I were not already wasting hours with the email issue I would be pretty annoyed having to start again!
    Oh well, just my luck!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by notxn85 View Post
    The logs show "headers already sent" messages but nothing about any contact us or email issues.
    Those messages are CRUCIAL to resolving the problem.
    Simply fix those errors and the blank-page issue will go away.

Ref: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...s-already-sent

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

SUPER!
    Thanks for that help.
    I ad looked and looked at the logs and as nothing was mentioning the emails I did not realise that they gave the clue.

I went through and found a difference between the template languages English.php and the one on my PC, I have nt looked to find out what the idfference is yet, I overwrote the one on the site and HURRAY, it now works.
    Thanks again.
    Tony

Plugin Contributions

I'm having a similar issue after moving from an IIS server to bluehost this weekend.

No emails are able to be received if I send from zencart. (actually don't have confirmation that they are sent) Using contact us zencart reports back fine "Your message has been successfully sent." yet nothing shows in the inbox. Tried to send to both yahoo and my host email. Copied the string and emailed directly to that address using yahoo and the email went through so know I've not mistyped the address

Did my initial install on the new server with the real install not a 1 touch. Then pushed by DB and files over. Site is behaving well otherwise

The host email is working and I can send and receive to the accounts fine outside of zencart. I've tried every transport method option. Send e-mails is enabled, tried the other minor email options. Removed the old smtp configuration setting when trying other transport methods. Still no luck

The myDebug log only shows this message which appears even when just refreshing the page

failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /public_html/includes/modules/footer.php on line 19

This is what it references:

if (STORE_PAGE_PARSE_TIME == 'true') {
    error_log(strftime(STORE_PARSE_DATE_TIME_FORMAT) . ' - ' . $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] . ' (' . $parse_time . 's)' . "\n", 3, STORE_PAGE_PARSE_TIME_LOG);
    }

Otherwise I'm not finding any other logs. Digging around the forum it sounds like there might be other useful logs related to email but I don't know where else to look

If it helps, the site is "loveofthehorse.com"

Thanks in advance for any advice

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by loveofthehorse View Post
    I'm having a similar issue after moving from an IIS server to bluehost this weekend.

No emails are able to be received if I send from zencart. (actually don't have confirmation that they are sent) Using contact us zencart reports back fine "Your message has been successfully sent." yet nothing shows in the inbox. Tried to send to both yahoo and my host email. Copied the string and emailed directly to that address using yahoo and the email went through so know I've not mistyped the address

Did my initial install on the new server with the real install not a 1 touch. Then pushed by DB and files over. Site is behaving well otherwise

The host email is working and I can send and receive to the accounts fine outside of zencart. I've tried every transport method option. Send e-mails is enabled, tried the other minor email options. Removed the old smtp configuration setting when trying other transport methods. Still no luck

The myDebug log only shows this message which appears even when just refreshing the page

failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /public_html/includes/modules/footer.php on line 19

error_log(strftime(STORE_PARSE_DATE_TIME_FORMAT) . ' - ' . $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] . ' (' . $parse_time . 's)' . "\n", 3, STORE_PAGE_PARSE_TIME_LOG);
    }

Otherwise I'm not finding any other logs. Digging around the forum it sounds like there might be other useful logs related to email but I don't know where else to look

If it helps, the site is "loveofthehorse.com"

Thanks in advance for any advice
    Some changes, after a couple of days, I started receiving email from new accounts, etc, but not from the contact us dialogs. I assume this improvement was just the host change sorting itself out.

Today I added SSL and have gotten the site working in all manners then went back to look at the contact us issue. Configured the email to use the ssl server from the host and smpt with all their required settings

What I'm seeing now is that the fields don't seem to be able to even read the contents that are being inputted.

I get messages like
    "Sorry, is your name correct? Our system requires a minimum of 2 characters. Please try again." Although there are lots of characters in the field. All fields are behaving the same way by reporting validation errors on all fields. This behavior appears to be connected with the change to SSL

I'm at a loss, any suggestions would be welcome!

Keith

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by loveofthehorse View Post

}
    Go to Admin->Configuration->Logging and either turn off Page Parse Time Logging (or specify a valid path+filename as the text file to store into (you changed hosts, so the path is probably invalid now)).

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Go to Admin->Configuration->Logging and either turn off Page Parse Time Logging (or specify a valid path+filename as the text file to store into (you changed hosts, so the path is probably invalid now)).
    Dr. Byte,

Thanks for that note, I turned that setting off and now the logs aren't filling up. Deleted over 10,000 log files and no new ones have occurred.

On the email front I dug into the email php and it appears that the errors about there not there being a name, email, etc specified were falling out of the system not believing it was really SSL.

Based on this I went in and verified the config file which had ssl = true, so on a guess I set both address to the ssl

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'https://loveofthehorse.com');
    define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'https://loveofthehorse.com');

// Use secure webserver for checkout procedure?
    define('ENABLE_SSL', 'true');

This corrected the red box error on the contact us and everything is back to working. I don't believe this is how its suppose to be configured but had to set both values as well in the admin directory or I could save any changes there. Not sure if this is the expected configuration or if I just did a work around.

In the process of all this ended up having to set the port = 587 instead of what bluehost posts on all their docs in order to get the email sending.

Perhaps this will help someone down the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast