Thread: Database Update

Plugin Contributions

Default Database Update

I am upgrading from 1.3.9 to 1.5.3 and the test site is almost done so i will be going live in a few days.

I started on this two months ago and obviously made a copy of the database and ran the db update that happens at the beginning of the zencart install.

In the meantime, the 1.3.9 existing/live database has been taking new orders and getting new customers. What is the best way to get those new orders into what will be the live database that doesn't have the last two month's data but is updated for 1.5.3?

Is there a way to just update the 1.3.9 database without running an install, too?

I apologize if i posted to the wrong spot. I cannot find this in the install topics/discussions.
    Last edited by manythanks; 2 Nov 2014 at 03:57 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Database Update

In a way this depends on what hasbeen done to the database of the 1.5.3 version. Did you delete any products, did you add more products, modify attributes, etc... Or were the changes all about templates, shipping, payment methods, and addins?

If the changes were primarily/only cosmetic, the tables for the customers (and there are several) can be what is captured and brought over to your new install... They will still need to be upgraded through the zc_install process, but in a way can be merged to your new install after a few moments worth of work.

Obviously you would want to try out the process before making the actual switch, but yes it is doable. My advice though is that when you go to do the actual live transfer if you use such a process would be to place the store in maintenance mode, capture the applicable tables, upload them to a 1.5.3 site database, do the database upgrade, capture those customer tables, upload them to your to be live 1.5.3 store, then effectively put the new store online (with it in maintenance mode), and verify that the store works, then take it out of maintenance mode.

There are a lot of minor details between each step, but they can worked out as well. The tables related to cutomers are provided in the wiki: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...rdered_by_Data

Would also want to capture the admin records of the old database so that can maintain the information necessary for PCI compliance of maintaining admin history. There may be other such records or actions to take reguarding PCI compliance, I am no such expert, and only offer suggestions.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...