Plugin Contributions

Default Single products with drop down menu variables

Hi

I am confident setting up products pages that have single products. I have a job however where I need to have a single product image on the product page, then a drop down menu that lets them choose a size option and when choosing an option it updates the price and product code to suit. Then place that in the cart.

Then when the store passes the items to the warehouse once the purchase has been made, I want the product/size/code to be present on the order email as well.

Is the achievable, and if so can you please ideally direct me to a step by step tutorial that shows how to set it up.

I would consider adding a module if need be that lets this be achievable, but if it is already built into Zen that is perhaps a better place for me to start.

Thanks very much for your help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Single products with drop down menu variables

While one may assume the version of Zen Cart you are using based on a few factors, ideally when posing a question, the information requested/suggested as posting guidelines should be included. This helps others help you and those that are experiencing the same issue or have the same question to confirm they have a similar setup or what is different.

Anyways, if you want information updated on screen as such a selection is made, then basically will need some sort of javascript/ajax/etc.. updater. Otherwise the default zencart will show the difference of the price (if there is one) or other detail information as part of the selection.

What you are basically describing is the addition of attributes. Currently attributes are created through a sequence similar to below:
    Create an option name,
    Create an option value,
    Assign an attribute to a product and modify the pricing and information as desired.

As far as something that assigns a completely different identifier to the product based on the selection of the attribute(s), that would take a plugin as well. I'm certain there are a few that would accomplish some or all of that, it just depends on what is desired/needed and answeringthe questions related to the posting guidelines.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, yes, I realised after my post I had forgotten to include the version - new poster so my apologies.

I will install the latest version 1.5.3 of Zen for this as it's a new installation for a new project.

I have no experience adding option names and values. That is the gap in my knowledge, so is there place that gives me step by step guidance visually through those screens please that I can see how to do it as apposed to a list of instructions. Being a visual type of person theist style of learning is really helpful.

I think if the variables are such that I need a plugin, please go ahead and suggest any that might suit that I can look at please. So to explain the variables…

Let's say the product title is 'Cardboard Box' and for the variables we have a series of sizes, say '6"x6"x6" and 8"x8"x8" and 10"x10"x10". Each one of those variables I would want in a drop down menu so they can select the size they want. Then the price would need to update accordingly for each size they select, and the model number needs to update as well to reflect that.

Yes, I think a plugin might be necessary for that kind of functionality in Zen Cart. But I'll await our advice as I need a simple to install solution that's not too complicated to operate in the admin ideally.

Thanks in advance.

Plugin Contributions

There may not be a video, but this provides the general idea:

http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...to-my-products

Plugin Contributions

As for a plugin that might accomplish some of what you are wanting, it seems like Stock By Attributes is headed down the path you are looking for. The version I would suggest has recently been modified by potteryhouse and can be found at https://github.com/potteryhouse. There is more toget to the location, but that's a start.

As for instructions and figuring things out, the best thing to do is to set up a separate version of the site and play/try/make mistakes... Can only learn from past mistakes. :)

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, step by step is all I need, this looks fine. I will give it a try and repost if have any issues. Thanks very much for the help!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks mc12345678, I have a 1.5.1 cart from another project I can use online for testing.

I hear you - trial and error is one of life's great teachers!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lapitis View Post
    Thanks mc12345678, I have a 1.5.1 cart from another project I can use online for testing.

I hear you - trial and error is one of life's great teachers!
    Welcome, though if I understood the previous messages correctly, you were looking to do things in ZC V 1.5.3 not 1.5.1... There are differences (however subtle they may be). The recommendation would be to have a parallel "individual" store that has its own database and file set (though the database could be a copy/backup of the live store). That way whatever is necessary to complete installation at one location can be easily mirrored to the other... When dealing with different versions, then things can get a little tricky... (Possible, but must... keep... mind... engaged... as to what change(s) are necessary to apply to one store that may not be necessary on the other as a result of version differences.)

Plugin Contributions

Yes, good advice - I'll do that. Thanks!