Plugin Contributions

Default Product Page Description and Details Blank By Default?

I’m not sure about the cause of some unwanted behavior. After a recent upgrade of both Zen Cart and Sheffield Blue (Responsive) template on our site, when guest are taken to product pages, the information categories “details” and “description” are blank until and unless the guest clicks. There is no indication that more information will be revealed after clicking, there is no message or hint to click for more information, and there is no cursor activation to active link status when hovering over these areas, unlike other kinds of active link types (graphic, text, etc.). Consequently, many guest leave product pages thinking there is no further information given once they’ve landed there. This is especially true for international guests who aren’t English literate. See http://yourvirtualworld.tv/index.php...roducts_id=139 as an example. I’d much prefer that the guest perform additional clicks to collapse information fields rather than expand them OR dispense completely collapsible fields.
    I’d like to alter the behavior of the product information pages so that all of the content is immediately and completely visible and the number of clicks to get what they need is reduced and so that there is no confusion about what to expect from the GUI. Please advise.
    Last edited by Yourvirtualworld; 5 Jan 2015 at 06:13 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product Page Description and Details Blank By Default?

Quote Originally Posted by Yourvirtualworld View Post
    I’m not sure about the cause of some unwanted behavior. After a recent upgrade of both Zen Cart and Sheffield Blue (Responsive) template on our site, when guest are taken to product pages, the information categories “details” and “description” are blank until and unless the guest clicks. There is no indication that more information will be revealed after clicking, there is no message or hint to click for more information, and there is no cursor activation to active link status when hovering over these areas, unlike other kinds of active link types (graphic, text, etc.). Consequently, many guest leave product pages thinking there is no further information given once they’ve landed there. This is especially true for international guests who aren’t English literate. See http://yourvirtualworld.tv/index.php...roducts_id=139 as an example. I’d much prefer that the guest perform additional clicks to collapse information fields rather than expand them OR dispense completely collapsible fields.
    I’d like to alter the behavior of the product information pages so that all of the content is immediately and completely visible and the number of clicks to get what they need is reduced and so that there is no confusion about what to expect from the GUI. Please advise.
    This is a bug in the template package. If you read or search the thread you will find the patch ;)

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

I couldn't determine whether the cause was Zen Cart of Sheffield Blue template. I did search the Picaflor Azul threads and couldn't find an answer. The thread is 80 pages and various search terms didn't yield a patch solution. Still lost...

Plugin Contributions

I couldn't determine whether the cause was Zen Cart of Sheffield Blue template. I did search the Picaflor Azul threads and couldn't find an answer. The thread is 80 pages and various search terms didn't yield a patch solution. Still lost...
    You need to search the Responsive Sheffield Blue thread for the word "patch"

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

This is NOT the same problem Anne. The initial (first) problem solved months ago that I fixed after researching it was that the text in the product description was not visible because of different character sets being used as ZC was upgraded from 1.3.9H to 1.5.3. The problem now is that when guests visit the page the product description is NOT GIVEN TO THEM OR SHOWN UNLESS THEY CLICK ON SOMETHING MORE. They have to click on the column wide box entitled "DESCRIPTION" before they are shown the description content. I don't want them to have to click anything in order to see the product description when they land on a product page. I want all of the product description information to be shown by default. This is the way Zen Cart and Sheffield Blue behaved before the updated responsive template was added. Making them click on something more to be given information just adds more complexity and effort to their site navigation.

Plugin Contributions

Again, the worst fallout is that customers leave a product page because the information that we created informing them about the product is hidden from them unless... they click something else yet there is no tangible indication that they HAVE to click anything else or what that additional thing is they have to click.

Plugin Contributions

Again, the worst fallout is that customers leave a product page because the information that we created informing them about the product is hidden from them unless... they click something else yet there is no tangible indication that they HAVE to click anything else or what that additional thing is they have to click.
    If you post a link to a product page with the problem I will take a look, but am pretty certain that uploading the patch will fix the problem.

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Anne! You were awesome, as usual. Everybody needs to know that you're the best Zen Cart template creator in the whole bunch....really. What a joy to work with. Thanks again for locating the patch and emailing it to me.