Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default start from date on certain visa debit cards - UK problem

Hi there,

I am using the paypal website payments pro, and I am certain there is an issue with certain types of cards. I have had several reports now and then of it now allowing a start date to be entered (it is ghosted out) and then the payment failing with this code:-

Declined: 15005-This transaction cannot be processed.
    Declined: 15005-This transaction cannot be processed.

I have a regular customer who alerted us to this today, who knows a bit about cards and retail. So I am ultra certain that this is an issue for UK merchants.

Is there a way to allow the start from and issue data to both be available for these cards? Instead of ghosting out the start date and leading to authorisation fail? I am sure this was an issue a few years ago, we first noticed it within the last six months so I figure something in the payment codes needs tweaking to allow these cards.

thanks in advance.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: start from date on certain visa debit cards - UK problem

Have you asked Paypal about it?

Plugin Contributions

Hi there,

I don't think its a Paypal issue. Its to do with the capture of the card details I believe, on the form on the checkout of the zencart store. We had to apply a similar fix a few years ago, it was for Switch cards I believe. But after the fix Drbyte advised, the customers were able to place those orders with that card. Of course, the Paypal files have changed a bit since then, and this must be a new type of card only in use in the United Kingdom. It started maybe 6 months ago I think, but definitely noticed it within the last year. Regarding my previous post, sorry I mean Issue as in Issue date (usually a single digit entered). Between us our debit visas don't have issue number for testing, but I have checked with another card and the start from date does grey / ghost out once the card number is filled.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I don't know the exact answer, but if you can at least provide the following, it might offer some clue:

- card "brand" (akin to Switch/Maestro/MasterCard/Visa/etc)
    - first 6 digits of card number
    - how many total digits in card number
    - how many digits in 'issue' number
    - how many digits in 'cvv' number

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks DrByte for your reply. I will have to ask the customer a bit more about it, but I have below some details. What gives this report some credence is that they also have a business and website, and seem to know a bit about the process of authorisation and cards. Please bear with me

[ACCT] => ************7006
    [AMT] => 6.08
    [AUTHSTATUS3DS] => Y
    [CARDISSUE] =>
    [CAVV[28]] =>
    [CVV2] => ***
    [ECI] => 05

[RESPMSG] => Declined: 15005-This transaction cannot be processed.
    [AVSADDR] => N
    [AVSZIP] => Y
    [CVV2MATCH] => Y

Plugin Contributions

So far only been told its Barclaycard debit card. I have tentatively asked for the details you asked for, but I have a feeling perhaps they may not be willing to help:-(. I will try and so some testing for my cards, which I think were okay last time, and perhaps can kindly ask business friends and family members.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

To clarify: the first 6 digits only identify "the bank" and is perfectly acceptable to share. Even the PCI security folks allow retention/display of the first 6 digits plus the last 4 digits without concern for encryption.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by HeathenMagic View Post
    Is there a way to allow the start from and issue data to both be available for these cards? Instead of ghosting out the start date
    A few prerequisites for Start-Date to even be offered:
    1. The PayPal Pro module needs to be in "PayPal-UK" mode.
    2. And one or more of Maestro, Switch, Solo cards must be enabled in Admin->Configuration->Credit Cards
    3. And customer must choose "Maestro" or "Switch" or "Solo" from the drop-down menu on the payment page.
    (Indeed, that's the ONLY reason why the card-type dropdown is even displayed. The card-type is never used for anything else, since the payment gateway autodetects the card type when processing it.)

If your customer needs another card-type name to show in that dropdown, I'd be interested in knowing what that card-type is, so we can consider updating to incorporate it.

If you've already got all those prerequisites in place and the customer isn't confused by the names of those card-types, then maybe you need to simply force Start-Date (aka Issue-Date) to display at all times. To do that, edit the paypaldp.php module file around line 275, by removing the lines highlighted here in red:
    Code:
      function selection() {    global $order;
        $this->cc_type_check =
                'var value = document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_type.value;' .
                'if (value == "Solo" || value == "Maestro" || value == "Switch") {' .
                '    document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_issue_month.disabled = false;' .
                '    document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_issue_year.disabled = false;' .
                '    document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_checkcode.disabled = false;' .
                '    if (document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_issuenumber) document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_issuenumber.disabled = false;' .
                '} else {' .
                '    if (document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_issuenumber) document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_issuenumber.disabled = true;' .
                '    if (document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_issue_month) document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_issue_month.disabled = true;' .
                '    if (document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_issue_year) document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_issue_year.disabled = true;' .
                '    document.checkout_payment.paypalwpp_cc_checkcode.disabled = false;' .
                '}';

Plugin Contributions

Hello DrByte,

thanks for that. Well the setting was to Paypal and not PaypalUK:-

1. The PayPal Pro module needs to be in "PayPal-UK" mode

The reason for this is that it was causing some currency issues when they were going through paypal, only for international orders so we switched to Paypal. There was definitely something going on, but we didn't raise it on the forum admittedly. This was a few years ago though, and the files are newer. So perhaps everything is okay.

I have told the customer that we have made some changes, so either they may help me with the details you asked for, or they may try to order again. In any case I will let you know. Thanks for your help so far

Plugin Contributions

Hello Dr Byte,

Had another customer have this issue, again they mentioned it was the start date field not being available that could be the reason. BUT, I logged into their account after speaking to them on the phone and was able to pay for the order (no visa secure needed for some reason) for them, and obviously no start date needed but I do have it given to me. So I am not sure if these few customers are somehow messing up something on the basis that the start date - they get the 15005 failure. As I say, it has been a number of customers who seem to have mention this fact upon communication - though I have just proven that the start date is not needed for this card.

Anyhow, I typed the details for this as you requested before, but again I did manage to get it processed no problem. I switched to Payflow-UK mode also, but they reckon they tried Paypal also and had 'not available to your geographic region'. I think this is the issue we encountered a few years ago hence switching to Paypal mode instead. I am going to have to test this out, unless I just switch back to Paypal mode as it was before? I have -none- set as zone by the way, so settings are for all zones. They are UK, and I should have asked if they were using the Express button.

- card "brand" (akin to Switch/Maestro/MasterCard/Visa/etc) Visa Debit
    - first 6 digits of card number 454313
    - how many total digits in card number 16
    - how many digits in 'issue' number no issue number
    - how many digits in 'cvv' number 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast