Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Main_Page dissappeared.

What happens if you download that file, edit it on your computer, then re-upload it to the server?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by wwwursa! View Post
    RodG:
    I use the overrides when necessary.
    <sigh>
    In your very 1st post you wrote "I was not in any of the overrides but making changes to the product listings and Main_page".

Now you are either saying that you ARE using the overrides, or that for reasons you haven't stated, you don't consider the main page as being one of the necessary to override..

At this point in time, we (not just I) still don't know if you are using the overrides for this or not. Perhaps you don't know yourself?

RodG:
    I use the overrides when necessary but that is not the problem.
    I have not once stated (or even implied) that the use of (or non use of) the overrides was going to be related to your problem.

I urge you to re-read what I *actually* wrote in post#4.

I gave TWO reasons why you *should* be using the overrides, and although the fact whether you are (or not) isn't going to be the *cause* of the problem, whether you are or not can/will determine the best advice we can give you to help resolve the problem.

We still don't know the answer to this.

I realise that you probably consider it an unimportant or non issue, those of us here trying to help you have other ideas. Just because *I'm* the one that raised the issue doesn't mean it isn't without merit. If I didn't ask then one of the other here would have.

We don't 'work alone' with the ZenCart support - It is quite common for one person to ask a question so that others can note the response and take things to the next level.

For example: Post#2, Design75 asked "If it is a define page you are editing, what are you putting in the HTML and body tags?"

You didn't answer this question. You did respond with something irrelevant though (The original information that was in the main_page was long an complicated). and then went on to say you "put this very simple HTML program in to show that it was not the information in the main_page that was causing the problem".

You seem to have ignored the fact that
    1) Replacing the original page (which we assume was displaying) with HTML code will actually *cause* a problem.
    2) Because the HTML in this page can cause a problem doesn't show that "it was not the information in the main_page that was causing the problem".

So Stevesh followed up on this (as he knows that HTML in the define page *can* cause a problem) with the question
    "Have you tried just putting some text in that file rather than HTML and see if it shows up on the page?"

IOW, he was asking you to confirm my suspicion that it could just be a case of 'bad html'

You didn't respond to this question, but decided to follow up on his followup question about asking if there was anything in the logs folder that would give us a clue.

So, at this stage we still don't know if you've actually tried replacing your HTML with plain text or not.

I would *assume* you have, but unless we are *sure* that you have, it isn't worth even considering other possibilities.

This in not about how it appears on browsers.
    With respect, you don't know that with 100% certainty unless you've actually tried viewing the page in all other browsers. It is easy to *assume* that it will be the same with all browsers, and indeed this could well be true, and if you *have* tried viewing it in several other browsers then it it doesn't hurt to tell us because at least then we'll know a little more about the issue.

I just there that code in to keep it simple.
    Not sure what you are trying to say here.

The problem is no matter what I put in Admin>tools>define page editor>Define main_page.php.
    ****It does not appear on the screen.****
    What you *should* be telling us here is that you've tried viewing the page in *several* (different) browsers and the text you enter doesn't appear on screen with any of them.

You should only tell us this if you've actually tried it though.

So to move on..... Please humour me with this, even if it is something that you have already tried.

Using the define pages editor make sure that the "Text Editor" dropdown menu shows "Plain Text", then load the page you are editing and tell us the full path of the file that is shown under the line that says "Editing File"

Next, Highlight and delete *everything* in the text edit box.

Finally. TYPE IN the text "Hello World" and save the file.

Now open the page with a web browser and *clear the browser cache* THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Refresh the page and let us know if it displays the "Hello World" or not.

Please don't just read this and *assume* that it won't. We *need* to know with 100% certainty, otherwise any further suggestions that any of us offer could be leading you down the wrong path, and that is the last thing we want.

It doesn't matter if any of these things seem unimportant or useless to *you*, and please don't ignore this request with some sort of backhanded comment like "Thanks, you got this issue back on track", because in spite of how *you* see things the questions asked and the comments made have all been on track and have been asked/made in order to help *you*. So far getting the information we need from you is a lot like squeezing water out of a stone. You should let *us* do the thinking and you shouldn't be trying to second guess the reason why we are asking the questions. It isn't to give you a hard time. It is because we don't know what you know, you don't know what we know. The questions and your responses are to ensure that we are all on the same page (no, Im not talking about the same webpage either, but that does help - Which is why I asked about the path name for the Editing File).
    Yes, this file path is displayed for a reason. In theory you could even be editing one file but the site is displaying a *different* file.
    Yes, you may *know* that this isn't the case, but *we don't*.

So over to you. Easy or hard. Your choice. :)

Cheers
    RodG

Last edited by RodG; 21 Feb 2015 at 06:32 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your patience with me.

Not sure exactly what you meant
    "What happens if you download that file, edit it on your computer, then re-upload it to the server? "

I think it may be time to find an "expert" to go actually into my Zen Cart program and see if they can find the problem. Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12