Plugin Contributions

Default Copy of Create Account Email not being sent after switching to Paypal Express

As per the subject line, I have finally run out of excuses to switch to PayPal Express and now see why Dr Byte and others go on about it as it makes the customer experience much smoother but, having switched, I am not receiving a copy of the Create Account email if a new customer uses Express payment rather than create an account the old way first.

Just to confirm, if I create an account before placing an order I still get the usual copy of the Create Account email. I also get a copy of the New Order email either way with Express. Is this by design or have I missed setting something up?

My products are digital downloads so I believe that an account will always get created but I have the option selected in the Paypal Express module anyway.

I have the Email Archive Manager addon installed and that shows that the copy of the Create Account email isn't being generated. The customer is getting theirs though.

ZenCart version is v1.3.9h, PHP Version 5.3.29

These are my current email settings:

E-Mail Transport Method smtpauth
    E-Mail Linefeeds CRLF
    Use MIME HTML When Sending Emails true
    Send E-Mails true
    Email Archiving Active? true
    E-Mail Friendly-Errors true
    Email Address (Displayed to Contact you) sales@xxxx
    Email Address (sent FROM) sales@xxxx
    Emails must send from known domain? Yes
    Email Admin Format? HTML
    Send Copy of Order Confirmation Emails To sales@xxxx
    Send Copy of Create Account Emails To - Status 1
    Send Copy of Create Account Emails To sales@xxxx

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Copy of Create Account Email not being sent after switching to Paypal Express

Another tumbleweed forum post. I seem to have a skill for that on the Internet!!

Can anyone please confirm whether I should get a copy of Create Account emails when people purchase using Paypal Express and if so any pointers as to how to debug why mine aren't being created and sent?

Thanks in advance.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Copy of Create Account Email not being sent after switching to Paypal Express

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer40 View Post
    Another tumbleweed forum post. I seem to have a skill for that on the Internet!!

Can anyone please confirm whether I should get a copy of Create Account emails when people purchase using Paypal Express and if so any pointers as to how to debug why mine aren't being created and sent?

Thanks in advance.
    Zc 1.5.1, same notification settings, didn't receive an email about account creation on a recent purchase using paypal express..

If one is needed could more than likely write an observer to listen for the notification of the account creation and send the email to the admin... Don't suggest modifying the paypal express code as that will make upgrades a little more difficult in the future...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks very much for your response and suggestion.

When you say you didn't get an email on a recent purchase, does that mean you normally do but didn't that once or do you never get a copy of emails for account creations when the customer checks out with PayPal Express?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I am not receiving a copy of the Create Account email if a new customer uses Express payment rather than create an account the old way first.
    That's by design.

NOTE:
    ZenCart version is v1.3.9h, PHP Version 5.3.29
    It's time to upgrade your Zen Cart version. Your hosting company will upgrade the PHP version soon (there's a big push in the webserver industry for all hosts to go to PHP 5.5 minimum in 2015), and then your old v1.3.9 software from 2010 won't run.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks very much for confirming that. I did find the Create Account emails useful as I could then easily tell whether it was a new customer or a returning customer making the purchase. Some returning customers aren't quite as welcome as others!

Thanks also for the heads up about PHP. I knew something would come along one day to break my shop, either browser related or server related so I guess it is time to dust off my test server and plan the upgrade.

Off to do some research...

Plugin Contributions

While ZC in many ways is setup (and supported) for individuals to do upgrades on their own, there are people that can help (or do) the upgrade. For site owners that choose not to do this, one would have to question the goal of the site, which is to make money. Such site maintenance, while not not possible by certain individuals (and there is no shame in that) could be easily addressed and in those cases should be a part of operational budget.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Very true, I hadn't really considered that.