Plugin Contributions

Default mobility question

Why is it necessary to go with responsive themes totally?

I like that people can view with mobile items and see it looking nice but why do we need the mobile theme for regular users too.

Can't someone come up with a way --- like Coppermine Gallery

1. upload the responisve themes to our server
    2. upload a plugin that sets what theme to use for mobile use. It detects the use of mobile being used and automatically sets the theme for it, leaving the regular viewer seeing the gallery with the normal theme.

Many have customized there stores to look different, eye candy of sorts, and with the responsive themes being so streamlined it is like viewing clones everywhere.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: mobility question

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post

I like that people can view with mobile items and see it looking nice but why do we need the mobile theme for regular users too.

2. upload a plugin that sets what theme to use for mobile use. It detects the use of mobile being used and automatically sets the theme for it, leaving the regular viewer seeing the gallery with the normal theme.

Many have customized there stores to look different, eye candy of sorts, and with the responsive themes being so streamlined it is like viewing clones everywhere.
    This is basically what the php mobile detect script does. It detects the user agent and then serves up the optimized layout. The DIY template default is built using it and and any template built using the DIY template default uses it. I would recommend doing a google search for "php mobile detect" and "responsive web design" for more information/understanding about what is happening.

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

bear with me...cold meds active in body so am fairly running on stupid today...LOL

so when I install a responsive template into the store I do not have to activate it for use? It will be auto seen and used by the visiting unit?

I need do nothing but install it?

Plugin Contributions

bear with me...cold meds active in body so am fairly running on stupid today...LOL

so when I install a responsive template into the store I do not have to activate it for use? It will be auto seen and used by the visiting unit?

I need do nothing but install it?
    You need to follow the installation instructions for the particular template. It is typical with zen cart that you need to select the template, reset the sideboxes, etc.

You will install and customize a responsive template just the same (essentially) as any other template package.

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

After much searching and wanting to provide a suitable mobile phone experience I settled on this http://www.mobilezencart.com/ I have just tested it on v 1.5.4 and it worked OK.

Plugin Contributions

@Anne

The one I installed in the test store is just real simple it just has the template folder items and nothing else...we are running 1.39h

There are other responsive ones that say they are compatible with this version so will try those too....

The only thing is that some sql installers want to install things for 1.5+ and mods that I already have installed

I thought we could but there are some things that just don't look right...my category in a box (sidebox) the editable middle boxes for instance tend to distort the responsive template.

@ianhg
    I grabbed the free version which I will try in the test store...not our live one but as I said I use 1.3.9h,

Plugin Contributions

Not just eye-candy but important functional differences. Default zc template is an outdated static design not well suited to different (especially small) screen sizes and touch-screen operation. On small screens, fixed page layouts often result in accursed horizontal scroll bars, side-columns content appearing ahead (above the fold) of centre content, and images/content not suitably scaling or resizing. On touch screens, dropdown/flyout menus (ie navigation) and other hover effects may not work.

Nearly all of the responsive themes I have tested automatically address the functional differences and enable some wonderful eye-candy, but not all designs extend deep into zc, such as also converting often-fixed table layouts into fluid div layouts, generally making page elements (eg forms, images) resize or wrap nicely. Although fluid design has been around since 2004, this design approach has yet to be fully incorporated into responsive templates.

My 2c.

Plugin Contributions

FWIW I modified the default template to be fluid responsive back at 139h stage, added responsive elements as needed by cherry-picking from the various responsive template offerings or by first principles, and have since rarely needed to change my layout. The only problem is that upon each upgrade or introduction of a mod, a fair bit of work is required to maintain the layout. The satisfaction however is that it works beautifully.