Plugin Contributions

Default Clunky Responsive Templates?

I'm currently upgrading my site to v154 and have held off using responsive templates till now.

Doing some research, I have read several instances where posts have commented that responsive templates were slow and clunky. Not really referring to any template in particular but just pointing out that responsive templates were in general.

Now I am wondering if I should go with a responsive template or just use a non responsive one. I would like to get a good responsive template but have no clue as to judging which are not clunky??

Anyone can educate me on this please??

P.S. I thought responsive templates were just a fad so I have held off trying to upgrade mine to one till Google decided to degrade websites that were not mobile friendly!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Clunky Responsive Templates?

Responsive templates are certainly no more a fad than the smartphone and tablet. As long as we have the latter, we will need to display the info properly based upon what the customer is using to access the site. If you are upgrading following the guidelines at http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading, you should have the new 1.5.4 in a different directory from your main store. You can test its look at quirktools.com/screenfly. This test site allows you to view your site from many tablets and smartphones.

Test your 1.5.4 site with something like a galaxy or iphone. Then, throw in a responsive template and look at it again. You'll see why the responsive is the current trend. IMHO, the slide shows are part of the clunkiness of responsive templates. However, it is generally turned off for tablets and smartphones.

Most of the responsive templates available in the Plugins section have been around long enough to have the bugs shaken out.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you! I understand it a little better now.

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Responsive templates are certainly no more a fad than the smartphone and tablet. As long as we have the latter, we will need to display the info properly based upon what the customer is using to access the site. If you are upgrading following the guidelines at http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading, you should have the new 1.5.4 in a different directory from your main store. You can test its look at quirktools.com/screenfly. This test site allows you to view your site from many tablets and smartphones.

Test your 1.5.4 site with something like a galaxy or iphone. Then, throw in a responsive template and look at it again. You'll see why the responsive is the current trend. IMHO, the slide shows are part of the clunkiness of responsive templates. However, it is generally turned off for tablets and smartphones.

Most of the responsive templates available in the Plugins section have been around long enough to have the bugs shaken out.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    You can also make use of the FireFox's "Responsive Design View" (Ctrl+Shift+M) to see how your site will render in different screen-sizes and orientations.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you! Well you learn something everyday :) I didn't even know Firefox has that feature! It is great too because I am working on a responsive Drupal template on localhost and now I can see what it is in different formats!

Thank you all..you guys are the greatest!!

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    You can also make use of the FireFox's "Responsive Design View" (Ctrl+Shift+M) to see how your site will render in different screen-sizes and orientations.