Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: HELP! New server ip - site down

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    i disagree.... hosts screw up moving of servers all the time. how often does one move hosts? not that often...
    You are correct. Used to have a sign above my desk thagt read, "Pobody's Nerfect."

Many hosts screw up moving servers. And, many hosts should not be hosts if that's how they treat their customers.

Not unlike with ZC and drbyte's advice to run both (https://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3...d-of-upgrading), a host can certainly run the original while making sure the new is being installed correctly.

Also, with the PHP upgrades, SSD drive additions/upgrades, etc.; We hear almost daily that "my host did something and...."

I would have guessed GoneDaddy from the start but their are others out there that are just as bad about doing things without telling the customer or without even investigating what the changes will do to those on their server.

Just sayin' that a host that does that might just need to be reevaluated.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by znowflake View Post
    As far as the site is concerned we have changed nothing and made no alterations to any files within.
    Our host informed us that the server IP did no match Site's DNS and therefore we should type the new IP into the DNS so both match exactly.
    Supposedly this would fix the issue and everything would return to as was before, however since then we have received the on screen message regarding to incorrect files etc.
    The only thing I can think is that somewhere in the files there is something still trying to point to the old IP which is causing the confict.
    Is there an easy fix to this.
    I'm not going to say that you don't have other issues, such as the files and configuration that others have mentioned, but I would like to strongly urge you that after making DNS changes a little patience is required, because until these changes get propagated to other DNS servers there is the possibly that some requests will be sent to the new IP address and some to the old address. The effects can be quite perplexing and any 'premature' changes during this period can end up causing problems that wouldn't have existed if the changes weren't made.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

We managed to get the host to look at the problem again last night and luckily there was a very helpful guy on the line who actually went in and fixed the probelm with the config files for us.
    The websites are up again, however people cannot sign in to their accounts and we cannot access the admin features.
    We have been running our sites for between 8-10 years and have some very basic knowledge of problem solving, but I am ashamed to say I suck at this level of understanding :-(
    What do you think these issues could be?

Plugin Contributions

Sorry to tell you but, your host has been more of a hurt than help.

You have some html errors in your footer where you gave yourself credit for Zen Cart. There are errors on other pages as well.

IF you have an SSL it is not showing up (hence the feeling the host hurt versus helped). I was able to create an account, log out, and log back in. Items in the cart were retained. I don't see a problem on your end other than the lack of SSL which will cause customers to leave.

Do you actually need your users to download Flash?

Plugin Contributions

I believe the flash is for the rotating banner on the front page, which flips between the latest graphics set and the site banner.
    The inability to access the admin area is a big problem however

Plugin Contributions

ok it seems like it's the admin config files that are the issue and although the host altered the others, this was left untouched so accessing the functions is not possible until the path is corected in the same manner the others were :-/
    Looks like I will be learning how to work with config files today lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12