Thread: AWS hosting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default AWS hosting?

We have ZenCart on an old dedicated server running RedHat, and now looking at AWS as a possibility as a new hosting provider. However I'm new to AWS and confused by all the options. For those using AWS to host ZenCart, which OS do you prefer? How do you configure the software on AWS (via SSH console or some other method?) What are these options such as t2.micro, m3.large, etc.? This cloud hosting world is new and unfamiliar coming from my experience managing a dedicated server.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: AWS hosting?

We just started migrating to AWS. I purchased a Lightsail instance with WHM/cPanel installed. It functions just like my old dedicated server. So far, in limited testing, it's just as fast and slightly cheaper.

Plugin Contributions

Great to hear they are offering this bundle. Please keep us posted.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Support
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckPhillips View Post
    We just started migrating to AWS. I purchased a Lightsail instance with WHM/cPanel installed. It functions just like my old dedicated server. So far, in limited testing, it's just as fast and slightly cheaper.
    i'm a big fan of linode. it seems their pricing is comparable to AWS lightsail:

https://www.linode.com/pricing/#:~:t...ual%20Machines

https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/pricing/

how much extra does the WHM/cPanel run? i have never had a need for those as it's easier for me to just run things from the command line.

i'm also a big fan of using debian for hosting.

best.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Here is the cPanel pricing. This is in addition to the cost of your hosting:

https://www.cpanel.net/pricing/

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the tips! I just tried LightSail, and it looks like a good easy to configure solution for most ZenCart sites. I was starting to configure a LightSail instance, but ran into errors and it seemed rather glitchy (it is an AWS interface on top of EC2 to try to make things simpler). But I got tired of the errors in trying to configure everything, so I switched to EC2. So far I like EC2 better, although EC2 has a cryptic and confusing interface to get everything configured. I think the EC2 instance will work out nicely once I get more familiar with it.

Plugin Contributions

I got this done. I'm running ZC 1.56c / php 7.4 in a Lightsail instance with WHM/cPanel. So far, I'm pleased with the result. I have my server (LS), backup (S3) and email proxy (SES) all in one console and on one reasonable bill.

There are tutorials out there, but in a nutshell: I bought a Lightsail instance provisioned with WHM/cPanel. Just pick the size instance (1GB -> 32GB), pick your software (WHM, Plesk, LAMP, etc) and agree. Change the root password and assign a free static IP - the instructions are right there. Visit store.cpanel.net and buy and a license for your shiny new IP address. Wait a few minutes for everything to propagate, then browse to your WHM, login as root and go. That's the gist only, consult a real tutorial for details.

The only problem is email - you can't send email directly from your instance. They have that blocked. Some will tell you to submit a support ticket and they will open the ports - but they won't. At least they wouldn't for me. The solution is to use Amazon SES. SES is an email proxy that is free for most users, and is a good idea anyway to prevent your emails from being blocked. You give the email to them, and they send it for you. This is configured in the Exim configuration so nothing to change in your cPanel accounts or email clients. Plenty of tutorials on that.

The only negative, the support tickets are kinda slow. I only had a few but it takes about 24 hours for a response. Even easy stuff like setting your PTR.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckPhillips View Post
    The only problem is email - you can't send email directly from your instance. They have that blocked. Some will tell you to submit a support ticket and they will open the ports - but they won't. At least they wouldn't for me. The solution is to use Amazon SES. SES is an email proxy that is free for most users, and is a good idea anyway to prevent your emails from being blocked. You give the email to them, and they send it for you. This is configured in the Exim configuration so nothing to change in your cPanel accounts or email clients. Plenty of tutorials on that.
    Good tip about the email blocking, thanks! I wonder if they also have emailed blocked on EC2 and workaround is the same for EC2?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fpbear View Post
    Good tip about the email blocking, thanks! I wonder if they also have emailed blocked on EC2 and workaround is the same for EC2?
    My understanding was yes, both are blocked.

The setup for Amazon SES was easy, but they take about a day to verify you. You need their DKIM records in your DNS and a manual review.

Plugin Contributions

Just a warning about the review: they can deny you for any reason at all and won't explain why.

AWS is definitely an option UNLESS you are selling adult products/firearm-related/etc. - probably not a good option for you in that case.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Support
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast